DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a 2004 Dodge Intrepid SE with about 83,000 miles on it. it drove fine for the first couple of days and then the engine starts shutting off, but does start back. The first time it happened the battery light came on for 1-2 minutes and then went off and hasn't come back on. The check engine light eventually came on after my brother, who has studied in mechanics, let the car just idle for quite awhile. He took it to Auto Zone and the code that came up suggested replace Idle Air Control Valve, clean throttle body, and check vacuum on engine. He replaced the IAC valve and the check engine light went off and he thought the problem was solved. The car drove fine for one day and then the next morning shut off again as I was backing out of my driveway and had shifted from reverse. The car started right back up and ran fine and I drove it 20 miles to my mechanic. The mechanic has cleaned the throttle body and replaced the cam sensor. He thought the had fixed it, but said the car would shimmy when started from cold engine but ran fine when warmed up. The car never shut off on him, until yesterday. He has checked the vacuums on the engine and said none of them are leaking and is puzzled as to what the problem is. He says the car is idling too low but can't find the reasoning. He is going to see if the idling can be change, but if not he is at a loss as to what to do. The next thing I know of is to take it to the local Dodge Dealership...who is the only Dodge dealership in the area...and let them look it over at a steep price I am sure. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
I've read posts by a few people here who replaced the IAC motor with an aftermarket one with no improvement. It may be that the aftermarket ones aren't good (especially if from Autozone in their Duralast brand). I'd take my chances on a junk yard one long before going that route - might be worth a try. It would have been worth cleaning the IAC and its port in the throttle body - that's often all it takes.

·
Registered
15,244 Posts
I agree IAC or vacuum leak. Stumbling when cold - runs fine when warm: IAC motor or bad electrical connect to the IAC. I've seen the IAC pinlet built up with crud. Trying removing the IAC valve and cleaning it and the TB seat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts