DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up at camp i saw a 1st Gen full yellow, detailed taxi cab, then the next day through the town i saw a 2nd gen full yellow detailed taxi cab, up in watertown, just thought id let everyone know that our babies r so reliable they are in the transportation industry, not only as police vehicles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
YUP!

Not many car owners can say that their model is being used by the cops and cab drivers.

Too bad there's not many cob/cab treps out there compared to the vics/impalas =/

O

·
0 Posts
flying_pork_products said:
YUP!

Not many car owners can say that their model is being used by the cops and cab drivers.

Too bad there's not many cob/cab treps out there compared to the vics/impalas =/

Your right, especially since DODGE doesn't make the Intrepid anymore

·
Registered
118 Posts
We have a lot of 2nd generation intrepids use as sheriff deputy cars in our area and in the city where i work they even have a PT cruiser as police car.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I was in a 94-97 Intrepid taxi. It was a 3.5L running on propane. Driver told me it had 600,000kms on it.
It drove just like new. They must maintain the suspension. I was not too impressed with the idle smoothness.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
There is a local taxi company that has 3 1st gen Intrepids, all base except one ES. They also have a fleet of 2nd Gen Dodge Caravans.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've seen one in san fransisco when i was there, it was blue and white. 2nd gen. It sure had a 2.7 because it had the colum shifter.

·
Registered
662 Posts
OLD THREAD REVIVAL! I was in Canada this past weekend and holy crap, there were so many Intrepid taxis. It was kind of weird thinking I drove one of them. Some were completely yellow, but most of them had colored hoods, roofs, and trunks that were either aqua green or red.

Anyone seen these for sale? It'd be interesting to have a taxi trep member on the site.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thats like all I see here in Burlington,on,canada.
Last 2 yrs like 2 firms all their cabs r 1stgen intrepids.
I just hate when u see them beaten to **** and look like **** cause damn pakistani drivers lol

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
LOL ya we have a lot of those drivers in Mississauga/Brampton. Most treps are old cop cars tho. You can tell bcs the one around me is all black, with police rims, police chrome centers and just a little tiny sign on top "blue and white taxi". 300s and chargers are also used as taxis lately.

All taxis get beat up over time tho, smashed up corners and such.

BTW propane/natural gas kills the idle performance bcs its fed through the intake. Odd design and not recommended by shops that install them. I got a free 96 bonneville and i took it to 360km before I gave up on it and got the trep. Mine was on natural gas and it could switch between gas/gasoline. Something about the valves burning out thats bad on them. When i asked about getting the trep with natural gas the guy at the certified natural gas shop said he does the installs but doesnt recommend them on new cars.

Ive seen some gms like the cobalt that had a factory like install on them (when i had the bonneville and filled up on natural gas). I wonder if they had a dual system also.

But lately all types of fossils have gone through the roof, last time i saw natural gas prices they were about 80-90cents per liter --eqv. So its not really worth the aggravation.

Taxis just use the stuff because they are forced to bylaw and it saves them a few cents seeing how they fill up 10 times a day LOL.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
i know natural gas had this turbo looking thing on the intake with a gas line. It basically mixed the gas in with the incoming air. So the intake was a little chopped up, but the overall components were all the same.

Mine had a switch inside the car that would allow you to switch between either source. You just had to rev it to 1500 rpm constant when u went gasoline --> natural gas. IT kinda dropped and the engine would die if it wasnt constant. On the highway it felt like anything else. My car was really pushing the limit tho so it started falling apart, rear struts were affected from the additional tank weight. Plus fumes were coming inside the car at the light from the exhaust. Just a pain to drive LOL....

Im sure the natural gas played a major factor in the decay + high mileage.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
we have a few second gen treps here in nashville tn as taxis,, there rough smoking old beasts,,,,

·
Registered
843 Posts
TopGunWgHs said:
Up at camp i saw a 1st Gen full yellow, detailed taxi cab, then the next day through the town i saw a 2nd gen full yellow detailed taxi cab, up in watertown, just thought id let everyone know that our babies r so reliable they are in the transportation industry, not only as police vehicles.

Your talking about Ft.Drum right? They got a lot of Chrysler cabs up there,2 yrs ago I say a Intrepid cruiser up there too- That thing looked mean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts