DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Intrepid, 210 km, ocasionally won't start, just the clicking noise made by turning the key in ignition. No turn over or any noise besides the key in slot. Lights and raidio work when this happend. Three times I had it towed to garage and it starts up for them and works fine.
Had battery cables cleaned and replaced.
Seems if I continually keep trying it will eventually start up, did this once for me.
Yesterday, after letting it sit for a day, I tried to start it and it caught only to sputter and stop. Started it again and it started and stopped. Then wouldn't start again till it was towed to dealer where it ran fine all day except for letting out a puff of black smoke they said may be because it is flooding.
What is going on. Can't depend on it so can't drive it.
Any ideas on what is wrong?

Colleen

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Colleen,
I'm not sure if what I'm about to write is correct for the 2nd gen cars, but the info is from Chilton's 1993-1997 repair manual.

In the transmission valve body there is a Manual Valve Lever Position Sensor (MVLPS). This sensor interprets the position of the manual valve inside the valve body. The sensor provides starting in Park & Neutral and operates the back-up lamp circuit.

Try starting your car in park then neutral to see if it starts. Also check if back-up lights go on when in reverse. They should go on with the ignition on but the car not started. If you don't have back-up lights maybe the MVLPS is not working.

I would double check with the 2nd gen owners before you do any repairs though as my car is a 1st gen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intrepid

Thank you;
I will pass that info on to the mechanic who is stumped as to the problems with my car.
Colleen

·
Registered
129 Posts
Any news on your car?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts