DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Every little bit helps...

Replaced the front fascia fastener to see if that keep the panels better aligned.

And since I had the rad support off, I cleaned all the grime off teh top and bottom of it, as well as the hood release.

I think next time I have the plenum off I'm going to repaint the bolts and the brackets.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well the day finally came and I've replaced the tired, old, unsafe front struts with shiny new ones. The ride is a bit better than I remember but more importantly there's no rubbing sounds coming from the front end.

I went with Monroe Quick Struts. Hopefully I have better luck with the mounts than other have, but for now at least I can drive it.

All that's left is to get it an alignment, hopefully Friday. Then I'll take it on the highway and see how the R/T PCM handles it.

Here's the driver's side. Looks well worn but still solid.

..unlike the passenger side.

And a shot of one of the new units.

It'll be all fixed up in time for winter!

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
damn those were some rusty struts!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
One bad bump and your ride would have been toast! Were those Concorde gauges a direct hookup or was there special work involved? I think that cluster looks really bad a$$ and I would love to have one in mine!
Yep, when I found out what was causing the noise and that the strut was in such bad shape I parked it until I could replace them.

The Concorde gauges are a direct fit except you have to swap the plastic lens out with the Intrepid cluster. Otherwise it's plug `m play.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Haven't updated this in a while, so I thought I'd share some of my detailing adventures. Got a hold of a high-speed radial buffer. First time using one. Have to say there's no comparison between one of these and a random orbit buffer. Reason being is that they spin fast enough to heat up the paint, which bring the color back it. Of course the thing to watch out is not to let the paint get too hot or it will get burnt, and on plastic surfaces (which heat up faster) the paint will ripple and come off. Yikes! Fortunately a friend of mine gave me some good tips on using it. So off to work I went.

First and foremost was to address the area on the roof whose clear coat has slowly been peeling away. Fortunately, the base coat wasn't damaged, so theoretically a new layer of clear should go a long way towards fixing the eyesore. Since its a relatively small area, I got the idea to use a bottle of touch up clear coat.

So here's what I started with.

Two layers of clear coat.

Already an improvement! Next wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper and hit it with rubbing compound and the buffer.

Not perfect, but certainly a big improvement, and it should keep the clear coat from pealing any further. That touch up clear coat is actually quite good!

Now onto the rest of the car. I still need to get a finishing pad so I can remove the micro swirls left behind by the rubbing compound, but even so the results are profound.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

And some other after shots:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Today I finally got around to doing a quick photo shoot.

Like a mirror, and I haven't even used the polishing compound yet (waiting on the finishing pad from amazon). Not bad for 12 year old paint! :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Holy hell! What kind of Buffer? I have about $100 to spend and I've always considered getting one. I've used Ultimate Compound before by hand but your results are fantastic!
It's an older Craftsman 3/8 horsepower 6" 2-speed "sander/polisher"

Like this one.

There's a Black and Decker buffer on amazon for about $70

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-WP107B-Sander-Polisher/dp/B00282ETBY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1345250452&sr=8-3&keywords=high+speed+buffer[/ame]

And then there's a 3M polishing kit for $42 which comes with everything you need to detail the car.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/3M-39053-Paint-Restoration-System/dp/B004NDBYQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1345250595&sr=1-1&keywords=3M+polishing+kit[/ame]

Advance actually just started carrying this kit. I took a close look at it, its very nice, and while the bottles don't say so, at the very least the blue one is Perfect-It. They want $60 for it though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sweet car, dude.:D My neighbor has one of those same color and everything and it's been parked in his driveway for over a year.. Idk what's wrong with it but she doesn't drive it. I've been itching to ask her about it. Maybe she can give it to me if it's a junker. One man's trash is another man's treasure. :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Sweet car, dude.:D My neighbor has one of those same color and everything and it's been parked in his driveway for over a year.. Idk what's wrong with it but she doesn't drive it. I've been itching to ask her about it. Maybe she can give it to me if it's a junker. One man's trash is another man's treasure. :D
Thanks! I hear you about trash vs treasure. After all, I fix and flip lawnmowers that would have otherwise ended up in the scrap yard as a hobby. :D

41 - 60 of 110 Posts