DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after saying I would get rid of the Jeep and then saying I wasn't....I finally did.

I traded it in and got a 2001 Neon. I know, I know. Econobox/****/crapbox. BUT, no more car payments and it gets great gas mileage. It only has 17,000 miles on it. So, I also keep the factory warranty for another year. I pick it up on Thursday morning.

I've come to that point in my life that everyone comes to (if you haven't yet...you will) That certain things become more important then others. Getting a house is VERY important to me right now... so for the next few years, I don't care what I drive as long as it gets good gas mileage (my commute is now 100 miles a day) and has a radio that plays the traffic every 10 minutes. (Boy, I AM getting old!)

Anyway, here's my take on the walkaround and test drive.

Nice looking car for a econobox. Looks like a mini 2nd Gen Intrepid. Inside, the controls are well laid out and the seats are comfortable and supportive. The dash looks like it is a better quality then my Jeep (interesting....) Funny thing is, the seats have the same EXACT pattern that my Intrepid had...pretty comfy. I was pleasantly surpised by the interior room and ergonomics (again, comparing to other domestic econo cars I've driven).

The drive: OK, this thing is not pretending to be anything but an economy 4 banger. It's slow. It's agonizingly slow. BUT, I was surprised at the stiffness of the body structure over bumps and rough roads, not one rattle (can't say the same for my Jeep). It's a tank. I took it on the parkway up to 80mph and no shimmying or wandering...it tracked straight as an arrow. Stomped on the brakes, no darting or pulsating.

So....in the end, I no longer have car payments. I now have a fuel efficient car that will be driven 100 miles daily without breaking the bank. I can't go offroad anymore and I can't drive any faster then the Geo Metros that will most likely be passing me. But, it's just a commuter car for me (no JoeKD intakes for me!)...on the weekends we'll be using the Accord (with all the leather and goodies) for our "drive around town" stuff.

Oh, and in tradition of the Intrepid and the Jeep.....it's Green. :D

It looks pretty much like this (ugly, but who cares?) except it's green :D

Interior:

Time for a new signature!...again! :tongue:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
sounds like you need to figure out how to get ATC in there and change some LED's to Blue.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Thats not bad at all buddy! I dont care what people say about NEONS. I think they're cool cars. Very roomy.
Make sure you get the intake for it...it improves horse.....I mean mileage = )

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Anthony, as long as it's green and your happy, that's all that matters. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the one thing it does need is a factory CD player. I don't do the "cassette tape" thing!

I kept my basslink as well....hmmmm.

I wonder if this has a PCI bus like the Intrepid...(visions of EVICs dance in me head) :D Time to find a Neon board! NOT!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Intrepidatious said:
Actually, the one thing it does need is a factory CD player. I don't do the "cassette tape" thing!

I kept my basslink as well....hmmmm.

I wonder if this has a PCI bus like the Intrepid...(visions of EVICs dance in me head) :D Time to find a Neon board! NOT!
...and you could keep track of your super mileage with an EVIC!!!!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
yea.. that would be sweet if you could get an Overhead Console of some sort in there... that is something the NEONS are missing.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
See line in sig.

Well, regardless, congratulations on the new purchase, and good luck with it, nice to see you're keeping the Chrysler as the brand of choice.

·
Registered
429 Posts
wow, that sure is a surprise. Good luck with the new vehicle. You probably have enough spare parts around to mod that neon into a 2nd gen intrepid :)

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Congrats! Been there, done that. I had a green 95 Neon, got it to keep car payments low and avoid speeding tickets. :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Congrats on the Neon, I think they are great little cars, it should serve the purpose nicely. Keep us up to date......as my wife is thinking of trading her van for one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I myself hate neons cause 75% of the town I live drives them. Everyone has like 14 in exhaust tips and 12ft tall wings on neons. There easy ricers in my country. lol You have a good reason to own one so hey more power to you. Good luck with your n..e..o..n and getting your house :D

·
Registered
709 Posts
hey I still have my Trep's Factory CD player deck with Mode button, don't know if it'd fit, atleast I dunno if the connector is the same....... if it did I'll be glad to send it your way for like 10 bucks and what ever shipping is......

Personaly I'd have a neon but my bro (6'4" and about 250lbs) won't fit in one so the next best step was an intrepid, been happy ever since.... you're lucky though, the neon has a lot of after market goodies to choose from and an intake would do wonders specialy for your fuel econamy(spelling).

PICS!!!! :baaa: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sport/SoundEdition said:
hey I still have my Trep's Factory CD player deck with Mode button, don't know if it'd fit, atleast I dunno if the connector is the same....... if it did I'll be glad to send it your way for like 10 bucks and what ever shipping is......
Hey, thanks for the offer. What year is the CD Player from? I believe the 2002 and up DC radios have a different amount of pins. Is it the oval face radio (2nd Gen fitting)?

Thanks again.

Everyone else, thanks...I really expecting an uprising! It's a nice little car, sure it's no Trep...but it is a means to an end.

Thanks guys! :wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts