DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
New here. Have 1999 Dodge Intrepid 3.2 since new. Current mileage is 82K. Love the car but getting older now and more difficult for me to take care of with disability and my age, 73. In the process now of thinking whether to put more money into to or buy another car, probably used.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
New here. Have 1999 Dodge Intrepid 3.2 since new. Current mileage is 82K. Love the car but getting older now and more difficult for me to take care of with disability and my age, 73. In the process now of thinking whether to put more money into to or buy another car, probably used.
Face it: A car this age is always going to need something, and many critical parts are getting scarce and of low quality. An example: At this age, our cars often need a complete new set of brake lines due to corrosion and rupture - dangerous if not done, and very labor intensive to do. At your age, my advice is to get a newer (new if you can afford it) car.

I can say that because I'm 71 and used to love working on my cars - key words: "used to". Other than my '85 F150, I replaced my older cars (including two Concordes and a '99 Buick) with new cars - it was the right thing to do.

Especially if you can't DIY and have to pay shops to do your upkeep, an older car will drive you to the poor house. The same money will pay for a replacement car in short order and make life much simpler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brake lines done 6 months ago. Custom right side catalytic converter done in March. New routers and brake pads done 2 weeks ago along with complete tune up.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
You replaced all of your metal brake lines? You did it yourself, or paid someone else to do that? How much $$?

What does a "complete tune up" consist of? How much did that cost?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts