DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Since I have not ever posted here I should finally do it since I have been a member for a few years. I have a 96 Intrepid with the 3.3L engine. I got the car for free in high school and have been driving it for a decade coming up this winter. It came to me not in the best condition, but I have kept it running.

I am originally from Idaho, where the car has seen plenty of off-roading. The front subframe has plenty of dents from rocks, and I broke the radiator once when I hit a ditch too fast that I did not see. Some people in college were nice enough to break off my mirrors, so there are some nice cheap general car mirrors screwed to the door.

Recently while I was a vehicle dynamics test engineer at Honda, I got some 17" MB wheels for $80. I have seen several people here install the same ones on their car. I put some BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2 on these wheels which has helped handling. If you want to see pictures go to my garage.

I need to replace my front rotors/pads. I was thinking of getting EBC Greenstuff pads. Does anyone have experience with these or recommend something different?

·
Premium Member
16,511 Posts
An Interpid offroader - interesting. :)

I don't know that too many people have posted about using EBC pads over the years - maybe there's a reason. I know when I got my first Concorde in 2001, I researched EBC, and tried to get information, and they didn't seem to give a flip about pads for our cars, so I wrote them off (perhaps why I've never seen anybody post much about them here). Do they list them for our cars?

A very good, commonly available semi-metallic pad is Hawk HPS. Good performance, but like most semi-metallics, they create a little dust, but it sounds like you put performance over dust, so it might be a good option for you. Ceramics are supposedly a lot less dust, and a lot of people here use them, but I've never cared for them too much (personal preference).

Another *excellent* pad is Performance Friction "Z-Rated" line - available at High Performance Brake Pads and Brake Rotors - Frozen Rotors (who also sells cryogenically treated rotors). Z-Rated are performance/race pads. Their "Carbon Metallic" line is (Performance Friction Brake Pads - Frozen Rotors)
They may only have the Carbon Metallics for our cars, but still a very good pad. I forgot that Frozen Rotors also has the Hawk HPS pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As an update, my need for front brakes was greater than a higher performance brake pad/rotor budget that I was saving for. I ended up getting my brakes from AutoZone and got their ceramic brakes. So far, all I can say is these have quite a bit of noise when braking below 5mph and were about the same at slowing the car down as the brake pads I had before. I do not know the exact brake pads that were on it, but probably something from the Federated Auto Parts (most things are WIX) as my father owned a parts store and used them as his supplier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts