DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently received a 60gb Video iPod courtesy of work(indirectly..hotel points redemption). My question is can anyone recommend a good car dock/interface? I've currently got an RB1 with the stock Infinity I amp which I intend to keep. That leaves out any direct inputs(RCA..hardwire..etc.) I also want some type of dock that will hold and charge the iPod while it's in the car. I'm guessing an FM type of dock/interface is about the only way to go. Not sure if anyone makes some type of hard wired interface for 2002+ cars that slips into the stock harness. I don't want to do any cutting and splicing of wires as I want to be able to quickly return to stock if needed. Any suggestions on what to get? Thanks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
they got a couple type of interfaces one you create 5 playlist and it plugs into your Cd changer port on the back of the radio and the radio controls the playlist like Cd.s the other is the cd changer port on the back of the radio to RCA or headphone jacks and jsut act as a audio input . but if you dont have Cd changer controls or you have an in dash cd changer you may be limited to cassette or Fm modualted. im in the same boat myself in my semi i have it wired through the changer port to a RCA which goes to my XM or to my IPOD. hope this helps oh them kits are 70-130 i think

·
Woober Goobers!
50,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that I do have a stock 6 disc changer connected to the RB1. Looks like an FM kit so far. I've got a stock XM receiver ready to go in and there's a cable/modulator kit for that that I haven't purchased yet..so maybe I can use the sat input until I really get sat installed.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
From what I've found, the modulators don't work all that well unless they're the type that plug inline with your antenna wire. My mom's maxima gets excellent radio reception, much better than my trep, and even with my belkin fm modulator in the cubby hole directly below the radio there is alot of static. I have heard really good things about the iTrip, and they now have one that connects directly to the dock connector on the iPod to charge it and get sound but I'm sure its not nearly as good as a wired modulator because there is just too much chance for interference. They are starting to come out with systems that will interface through your cd changer input that offer great sound quality, but they're a few hundred bucks.This guy's setup seems a little hoakey, but its a good guide for the basic idea of having one wire that will provide power and connect to your stereo with pretty good quality. As far as mounting, they're not cheap but the Proclip system is really nice because they have 2 different brackets for the trep that require no glew or screws, and then you can get device holders for PDAs, cell phones & iPods. Me personally, I would get the Belkin charger/sound car cable, hardwire it and a wired modulator into 12v, and then run the wire to the iPod like that guy in the link above did. I think this is your best bet for a clean install and decent sound quality. Good Luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts