DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building a computer for a friend of mine, and their only concern was that they can use there IPOD on it. The computer i bought doesn't have a firewire port on it, but i saw online they make usb to firewire ports. Would this work on an IPOD? Has anyone does this before? Just want to make sure I'm not ordering worthless cables for this.

·
Registered
510 Posts
As far as I know there is no cable that can adapt a usb to firewire. I mean it physically could but I don't think the communication protocals are at all the same between them. You should be able to find a card that has fire wire ports or a mix of fire wire and usb ports depending on your friends needs. Newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com would probably be the best places to find these.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Never seen conversion cables myself, but like ITrep96 says, just buy a combo USB 2.0/Firewire PCI card and solve both your problems. I bought one not too long ago, I think it was less than $20 shipped. Most cards also come with internal connection to convert your existing USB ports that are connected to the computer case itself to USB 2.0 if you so wish.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Faurtwenty said:
Im building a computer for a friend of mine, and their only concern was that they can use there IPOD on it. The computer i bought doesn't have a firewire port on it, but i saw online they make usb to firewire ports. Would this work on an IPOD? Has anyone does this before? Just want to make sure I'm not ordering worthless cables for this.
Ipods 3rs generation and up work with USB connections. In fact, ipods don't ship with firewire cords anymore. According to the instructions, video ipods aren't even firewire capable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts