DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had these folks custom build me an alternator so I can pump the bass. Plus I do not posses the skills to have an Oem alternator plated or anything nice looking. It took them close to 2 months because of how time consuming parts for our car are to find.

320amps @15.5 v @1500rpm.
They used an engine enamel the unit looks hemi orange outside. Has a bit of a red tint indoors. The pully is aluminum best i can tell. But I had a bright silver sparkle finish applied. You pick your colors etc.

Since their main target audience is audio competition the lugs can handle a whole wad of 2awg lugs.
All of the customization and it was not significantly more expensive than a brand new high quality unit. (Not a sponsoredship or anything like that.) just a cool product I bought.

Attachments

Registered
cool. looks really sharp.
i had a 200 amp aftermarket for awhile.
made me get those extra db's to lose my hearing faster. 馃ぃ
it finally burnt something internally.
stopped the headlights from bouncing at night though.

Registered
So i had these folks custom build me an alternator so I can pump the bass. Plus I do not posses the skills to have an Oem alternator plated or anything nice looking. It took them close to 2 months because of how time consuming parts for our car are to find.

They used an engine enamel the unit looks hemi orange outside. Has a bit of a red tint indoors. The pully is aluminum best i can tell. But I had a bright silver sparkle finish applied. You pick your colors etc.

Since their main target audience is audio competition the lugs can handle a whole wad of 2awg lugs.
All of the customization and it was not significantly more expensive than a brand new high quality unit. (Not a sponsoredship or anything like that.) just a cool product I bought.

Question I wonder, and have ever since I put the 120amp Ram alternator in place of the 90a unit on my eagle. Will the PCM commanded that much power? Does it even know the amp rating or just says hey I need more or less juice.

Premium Member
Question I wonder, and have ever since I put the 120amp Ram alternator in place of the 90a unit on my eagle. Will the PCM commanded that much power? Does it even know the amp rating or just says hey I need more or less juice.
It "just says hey I need more or less juice" - to maintain the PCM's setpoint voltage - yes.

Details:
The PCM adjusts the field current to force the voltage to the setpoint ("closing the loop" on output voltage, controlled by field current). The setpoint is in the PCM firmware and is somewhere between 13.5 and 14.5 volts depending on measured ambient temperature.

When they spec the alternator at 320 amps @15.5 volts @1500 rpm, that means that if the regulation is disabled (maximum field current supplied), the alternator provides output of at least 15.5 volts with an applied load of 320 amps if rpm is at least 1500. (I assume they mean 1500 engine, not alternator, rpm, which assumes they know the ratio of the crankshaft and alternator pulley diameters. Not sure if that means "typical" or "minimum guaranteed" performance.)

Summary: With the regulation operating, the alternator will output the voltage commanded by the PCM according to the setpoint (which varies with ambient temperature) in the PCM's firmware, with up to some value of load current, as long as there is enough rpm.

Registered
It "just says hey I need more or less juice" - to maintain the PCM's setpoint voltage - yes.

Details:
The PCM adjusts the field current to force the voltage to the setpoint ("closing the loop" on output voltage, controlled by field current). The setpoint is in the PCM firmware and is somewhere between 13.5 and 14.5 volts depending on measured ambient temperature.

When they spec the alternator at 320 amps @15.5 volts @1500 rpm, that means that if the regulation is disabled (maximum field current supplied), the alternator provides output of at least 15.5 volts with an applied load of 320 amps if rpm is at least 1500. (I assume they mean 1500 engine, not alternator, rpm, which assumes they know the ratio of the crankshaft and alternator pulley diameters. Not sure if that means "typical" or "minimum guaranteed" performance.)

Summary: With the regulation operating, the alternator will output the voltage commanded by the PCM according to the setpoint (which varies with ambient temperature) in the PCM's firmware, with up to some value of load current, as long as there is enough rpm.

Ah, so basically, PCM does not see Amps, just Volts then. I always wondered if the upgrade was worth it and what I thought I saw was placebo when I did my upgrade.

Premium Member
Ah, so basically, PCM does not see Amps, just Volts then. I always wondered if the upgrade was worth it and what I thought I saw was placebo when I did my upgrade.
Yes - just like your home thermostat looks only at room air temperature and does what it has to do to bring the room air temperature to the setpoint. Room air temperature is to thermostat as battery voltage is to PCM.

Registered
Yes - just like your home thermostat looks only at room air temperature and does what it has to do to bring the room air temperature to the setpoint. Room air temperature is to thermostat as battery voltage is to PCM.
I had my guesses, but never any other opinions or data to prove it.

Dain bramaged
My 1st gen loved when I put the 136amp Dodge Ram alternator on it. 90amp stock units are "functional" but the extra amp's make things smoother.

I've got a 160amp durango alternator I'm gonna rebuild into a 300amp unit when I have the time.

Woober Goobers!
"Amp" it up !

Registered

A 2 faret power cap would have done the sane thing, that's exactly what they are for

Dain bramaged
I agree, Caps were everywhere years ago and sometimes they actually did what they were supposed to do. There are a ton of new options these days that are much better choices.

Registered

Hey there. This is Melissa with Iraggi Alternator, I just wanted to say thank you for the shout out, we really appreciate it and are glad to have you as part of the team. If you ever need anything or have any questions please dont hesitate to reach out, I am happy to help

Registered
I agree, Caps were everywhere years ago and sometimes they actually did what they were supposed to do. There are a ton of new options these days that are much better choices.

I competed at car shows in the 90s ,so I don't know what's new out there. Caps are designed to keep your alternator from wearing out and your head lights from dimming when you hit the deep bass, I didn't know there was an alternative out their now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts