DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all,

Water gushes from a weep hole on the water pump (2004, 2,7L). I have changed the plastic bleeder assembly not too long ago and the overflow tank was replaced not too much time prior to that. I have antifreeze coming out of my driver door speaker too (wonder if it related).

Anyway, I was quoted $1200 to fix the leaking water pump. It was discounted to $999 because they thought it was the thermostat housing (they replaced the thermostat and housing).

So, is $1,000 a reasonable quote for sing this job? They did talk about a timing chain and guides, intake gasket and prolly a couple other things as they are going in for this job.

I will not tackle this job on my own. Too deep for me.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Seems a bit high for me. I believe just the waterpump installed alone they wanted 350 or so. However, I found a friend of the family who did it for me for 30.00 lol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes that's too steep... Mine was $500.00 out the door (which included a $50 off coupon). It included timing belt, tensinor, water pump, and fluids. Also I did not get it done at a Dealer... they wanted $750+ for the parts alone... to say the least-- shop around!!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
How do you have antifreeze in your door speakers?

I know some high end speakers are liquid cooled but not in a car!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure if I have the same problem or not, at least the first garage said mine was bad, quoted $1500. While I was getting a tire patched this weekend at Pep boys I asked them what they charge, they will do it for $650. I'm still trying to figure out if mine's really shot or not.

Where's the weep hole to see if the h20 is bad? Anyone?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
That's WAY high. Maybe the way to go is to gather the parts you need yourself, then take them to a reputable repair shop for installation. I only paid $400 to have mine done, but that price is biased b/c one of my best friends is a Chrysler tech. If they're trying to charge $1200 for a water pump, i hope that includes lubricant...for you, not the car.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I ran a estimate on Alldate using OE parts and its still just below $600.00

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The pump itself is not much, like $50 - $60, it's the labor that will cost because the front engine cover has to be removed. $1000 for just the water pump is too much. If it's $1000 for the water pump, AND timing chain, then that is a good price. I had the pump and chain and guides replaced on my 2001 Intrepid SE and it cost me $1500. The waterpump was the problem, but I had them do the chain also since it had 100k and I didn't want to have to pay again to have the engine cover removed again. I figured I'd do both at the same time.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
FYI - the cost yesterday: timing belt, tensioner pulley, water pump, 2 gals of anti-freeze, plus my labour for installation, using genuine Mopar no-issue parts $527.00 Cdn. All parts where charged at trade price (about 35% off retail), my labour was 125$. - all on a 99 3.5 engine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do agree the 800-1000 range sounds right.Mucho Labour involved...But if you can TRY to do it yourself,it would only cost like 250$.Thats Timing chain,Waterpump,and all the gaskets.Dont forget the NEW T-Chain tensioner too.Makes the job go much quicker,with no second guessing.I work on neighborzHOOD cars too.I would charge 500-600.Whoever does the work is going to find other problems.EX.Oilpump...Valve cover gaskets,Thermostat...while its torn down...UhmmmWater Gushing..If it was your waterpump your motor would be fried...Heatercore..Does this ring a bell?Dude..dont get ripped off on unnessary labor!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts