DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm a man of principle. I may not do what's best just to show them a reason they need to be a little more courteous or pay attention a little more. I'll admit I'm not a perfect driver, but I am very courteous when it is deserved.

Scenario A: Late at night. Right lane merges into left lane about 100 yards ahead. I'm in left lane, other person in right lane ahead of me. I'm continuing to go my usual 5 over the speed limit, guy in right lane doing about 5 under. Now, chances are he will not use his blinker, and I know this because many other people think 2 lanes merge into one... NO, it's one lane merges into the other. That's what the signs say, that's what the paint on the road says, that's what the drivers manual says :D . But I keep a constant speed regardless of whether or not he will be trying to share the same space on the road as me when the lane merges. He doesn't change his speed, tries to move over with no blinker, sees me, slams on his brakes to get behind me, then flashes his high beams at me while tail-gating me and keeping his high-beams on. This just absolutely pisses me off so I severely brake check him (don't worry, no cars behind him). Now, I knew his blinkers worked because it was a car that had the same bulbs for blinkers and brake lights... and I saw his brake lights earlier on that stretch of road.

Scenario B: Same exact situation, same exact response... only I slow down to 15MPH because this guy had off road lights and turned them on... very bright, very annoying. He tries to get around me on the right side, a gravel shoulder, but I kick it down into first and blow past him when his front bumper reached my front bumper. He kept all his lights on, tried to tail-gate me, but I was not going to let him have the satisfaction of his stupid illegal lights blinding me. I just kept cruising along until he was way off in the distance. He soon turned his off-road lights off when I was too far away to blind.

My poor car, people make me brake hard and slam on the gas... I know I should let it go... but it's so hard when they're doing something stupid, then getting mad at ME. It's like stubbing your toe and saying "STUPID CHAIR! :crazy: "

Think about it... car manufacturers invest thousands of dollars to make a blinker as visible as possible and just plain function, yet half the people don't even use them. Is it just here in washington state or are there even people on here that don't use their blinker? For me it's second nature... I feel naked if I don't use my blinker. I think I'll write a book!

Is this road rage or teaching someone that THEY have to adjust THEIR speed and use their damn blinker!? (I'm venting... this has happend 2 times within the last couple weeks.) Just want some opinions to see if I should be the one to change my ways... maybe I'll stop using my blinker and do half-assed lane changes and merges... if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right?

OK I'm done... everyone can yell at me now :wink:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Sounds like a bit of road rage scattered in there. ;)

I hate that situation to begin with. The right lane ends after the light. Everyone knows it ends. The majority of the people stay in the right lane. One or two assholes get in the right lane and force their way into the left lane. What did that do for ya? Oooo, saved you about 0.3 seconds since you are now right in front of me doing the same speed that you would have done behind me. Just stay in line jackass!

Once again, people are assholes. They think only about themselves and they feel that because they are in a car and don't have to face you directly that it can go unnoticed. Question: would this person do the same thing at a McDonald's or somewhere else where there could be a personal confrontation? Answer: 99% of the time, No.

I don't do this type of crap anymore. I learned to not care. After all, life isn't about this petty crap. People need to get a clue.

This situation you have described happened once in my R/T. I was in the left, like you, and there was a Suburban in the right. It was a left turn lane with 2 lanes merging after the turn. After the light turns green he tries to get in the left lane. I just keep her in second and easily go around him before he can merge (no signal). Then he tails me with his brights on. What the hell is this? At the next light I stopped and put the car in reverse when the light turned green I sat there for a couple of seconds. Then, I threw it in first and accelerated to 80 in third gear. He was way behind because he couldn't get on the gas quick with my reverse lights being on.

:bored:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Which is worse...

1. People not using their blinkers

2. People using them backwards? (left to go right and vise versa) :eek:

I think the backwards one, I don't know what this guy has planned. "Hey moron, there is a reason why they are set up to be turned on in the direction you are turning!!!"

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen the backwards thing before... kinda funny though sometimes. In your situation, was it someone who wired them up backwards? All the times I see it is on older cars where the automatic blinker shut-off thing probably broke and they forgot to turn their blinker off manually, then later made a turn in the opposite direction. That's entertainment to me since I can safely admit that I have never left my blinker on without knowing about it... even lane changes when the automatic shut-off doesn't work very often. I always make sure my blinker turned off automatically, or made sure it stays on through a turn since sometimes if your wheel is turned just to the right spot, the blinker lever doesn't want to stay on.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Merging...... (just that word right there) oh no! That's always a tough one over here for people to understand the concept of...... Well, driving is another concept some do not seem to fully understand.

People will either run you off the road trying to beat you to a road that merges a head or like 5 at a time will try sqeeze in to merge in instead of one person at a time. People just keep driving like they are the only thing exsistant and sometimes act like they don't see anything else.....

I really feel ya man, I would have probably done the same. The main thing to remember is to try not to let a situation get out of hand though. My usual reaction is to just drop it down and step on in with my Dynomax screamin' like a V8. The 2.7L will tear off nice at about 30MPH with a 1st gear kickdown. About 65 for second.

Follow the rules and there's another dipstick with his own that ****s you up.

Hope the first gear drop made ya feel a little better, sure makes me feel better sometimes.

Later.........

·
Registered
724 Posts
DOn't have much of a problem with turn signals around here, but when I go down to aberdeen SD to visit my mom, I swear they have no idea what a yellow light mean, or a red light means.

Light turns yellow & they have plenty of room to stop it's hit the gas & try to make it through which they usually don't

Red light means stop right? In aberdeen it means the same as yellow, punch the gas & see if you can squeeze through before the other traffic hits you.

One time I was pulled up next to this riced out civic & we were going to get it on when the light changed so we are both watching the other light to see it turn yellow, & then right before it turns red we both start looking at our light well our light turns green we both punch it & here comes this damn pickup truck right in front of us so we both go from peeling the tires to locking them up in a fraction of a second, i'm still not sure how the hell we managed not to hit the bastard. (caught the next light & spanked the civic soundly :D )

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Here in Minnesota, the tiny little drivers :alien: in little bitty cars just love to swing wide when making a left in front of you. They'll come close to hitting you if you try passing by to the right. I can understand making a wide turn in a big truck, but in a Honda? Piss poor driving skills are rampant.

:baaa:

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Hey guys, here in Baltimore there are a few simple rules:
The guy doing the merging always has the right of way. Right on red means the car that has the red light can proceed at full speed and the car with the green light must stop. Double yellow lines mean you can change lanes whenever you like.

Almost forgot, shoulders are for the people who won't merge or fall in line so they can run out of road, and force you out of your lane so you won't hit them (the shoulder next to the left lane is a high speed access road for Ricers/Luxo ricers only !!!). Also, especially in rush hour, you must keep at least 100 yards behind the car in front of you, especially if in the left lane.

My daily commute.

I'm not even going to get into the car/cell phones on the roadway.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I don't think it's road rage at all. I deal with something similar every day (well, Monday thru Friday :) ). This one stretch of road (Big Beaver Road) is three lanes but the right lane ends and turns into two lanes (just past John R). Everyone knows the lane ends, but people continue to shoot up the right lane to get a head. When ever I'm in the stretch, I NEVER let anybody over! One day this Jeep Cherokee Sport was right on my ass. I knew what she was doing. She wasn't going to let anybody over either. :) As soon as we pass that stretch of road, she gets off my ass. I had a big grin. :biggrin: There have been many times when I would see a car shoot up the right lane, and than I would see that car stopped and trying to get over into the next lane. I laugh because the guy in that car is now farther back than what he would have been if he had just been patient and stayed in his lane to begin with. :biggrin:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Kind of reminds me of the "Mercer Mess" in I-5 heading N or S in Downtown Seattle. Then again, it also reminds me of the I-5/I-90 Collector/Distributor fiasco Downtown.

I'm sure you know what I mean, Bart. The whole I-5/I-90 merge is one of the worst in the nation. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Warlord187 said:
Everyone knows the lane ends, but people continue to shoot up the right lane to get a head. When ever I'm in the stretch, I NEVER let anybody over!

Did you ever try the two-lane straddle technique? This sometimes works but only if you are close to the merge point. Otherwise, you can get screwed by the guy behind you or the dude in the right most lane will take the shoulder. This requires multiple vehicles to pull off.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
viprman said:

Did you ever try the two-lane straddle technique? This sometimes works but only if you are close to the merge point. Otherwise, you can get screwed by the guy behind you or the dude in the right most lane will take the shoulder. This requires multiple vehicles to pull off.
Yup! If traffic is crawling along, when I get close enough to the merge point I can get over enough to stop anybody from getting past me. :biggrin:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know exactly what you mean cj. I kinda live out in the sticks (carnation) but I'm not far from bellevue, redmond, or issaquah (15 min on a good day). I absolutely hate going anywhere during rush hour unless it's avoiding 520, I90, or I5. I've been caught in the I5/I90 interchange a few times trying to get to west seattle to the stupid ghetto dealership I got my car from. :crazy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts