DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to make this short and sweet. Here's the what has happened this week with me and my car:

On Friday my check engine light came on at it went from OD to 1st gear and wouldn't get out until I restarted the car.

Took it to Autozone who said that I had a P1776 and P0700 codes. Needs to go to a tranny shop.

Tranny shop hooked it up and said that the engine computer is not talking. Check the fuses and battery, if neither, it's the computer.

Battery was checked and is bad, so it's been replaced. Life was good. No problems. Then the tranny did it's thing again and the light came back on. The tranny shop said it was a sensor in the tranny that was wrong, but I'm still not sure if the computer is talking to the car. Could a battery cause it not to communicate? Am I chasing my tail, and need to trade it in?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

02 Intrepid
81000 Miles

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Tranny sensors??? That's a very common problem........mine went out at under 15,000 miles :p

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
The tranny is probably going into "limp node", which means it shifts into 2nd and stays there. If the speedo is working then the tranny input sensor is probably bad - if the speedo isn't working then it's probably the tranny output sensor. Each sensor costs ~$25 and can be replaced in your driveway though I doubt a shop would charge much to do it. Most guys that DYI change both sensors while they're there.

More information can be found here ... http://dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14839

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem with my 03 ES - had a shop change the solenoid pack and all was well - for a day or so. Both codes reappeared and tranny continued to go into limp mode. Returned to the shop - they are suggesting it may be the PCM. They are going to "borrow " a used one and put it in to see if the problem goes away. This is to happen on monday - I'll have more to add after then. Coincidentally, they had an 03 Intrepid taxi in the shop also - same problem - same solution. Interesting to see if he returns also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update on P1776 DTC :Shop pulled a TSB on the problem and it pointed to a solenoid in the valve body (NOT the solenoid pack) . Lucky they discovered this before swapping the PCM. They put a new solenoid in and the problem is fixed (fingers crossed) The part was $50.00 CDN. This TSB also refers to a production date on the solenoid pack as a deciding factor in how to proceed (replace the pack or the valve body)

Anyone in a similar situation should access this bulletin from the dealer or other source before wasting time and money on sensors etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hopefully this is my final post on this problem - the MIL came back on again and showed the same two codes. Returned to the tranny shop one more time. As a last resort they replaced the solenoid pack once more, but used a true Mopar part this time, not a remanufactured one. The problem seems fixed, but then, I've said that before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts