DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the website and I dediced to register. I have a question and I was hoping if you guys could help me out. My dad's friend gave me a '99 Dodge Intrepid for my birthday with close to 200k miles on it. It is a lot of miles but they are highway miles because my dad's friends worked like 2 hours from where he lived. The car is in good condition and it still runs very good. Ok so enough with the history lol... so my question is, should I spend money on the car to make it look better like getting rims, a spoiler and stuff like that, or it isn't worth it?

Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
If the engine or tranny failed tomorow, would you replace it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
welcome! get some pictures up!

many of us don't have lives.

not me of course...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Welcome! I would hold off on the rims and aesthetics... I would do a bunch of maintenance and pre-emptive stuff which some other guys can go into definition about simply because I do not know much about maintenance intervals for these cars... But yeah that is what I would do!

After all that, you should study the site a bit, and ask questions (I ask a bunch of questions) about which mods people here have done so you can get a better understanding and outlook on just what kind of a canvas you have to paint with when it comes to these cars.

By the way is it a 99 base or a 99 ES? I am guessing that with the number of miles it has (especially if your dad was never a member here), it would be an ES?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welcome! I would hold off on the rims and aesthetics... I would do a bunch of maintenance and pre-emptive stuff which some other guys can go into definition about simply because I do not know much about maintenance intervals for these cars... But yeah that is what I would do!

After all that, you should study the site a bit, and ask questions (I ask a bunch of questions) about which mods people here have done so you can get a better understanding and outlook on just what kind of a canvas you have to paint with when it comes to these cars.

By the way is it a 99 base or a 99 ES? I am guessing that with the number of miles it has (especially if your dad was never a member here), it would be an ES?
I would say it Depends on if the car grows on him(it will) and if he knows anybody that can turn a wrech. My Brothers R/T(not I2 the other brother<developing a complex now>) just turned 190K and he wanted to dump all sorts of cash into freshening her up, major item being the timing belt. Well after looking at all the parts and labor involved he still ends up with 190k on a motor. So she got a tune-up and thats it. When the time comes she will get a new powerplant. Dont get me wrong she runs well but it is what it is, I'm not placing my chips on this being a 300k engine.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I would get the maintenence up to snuff, have it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic..compression, tranny etc. Then make your decision. That is a lot of miles albeit highway, but still parts wear on the highway too. Simple mods would be ok, but I don't think I'd sink a lot of money into it unless you plan on getting another one if it dies.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Welcome aboard. Like everyone else has mentioned get the basics done first. If you can work on it yourself it will be much cheaper then a shop. The only things I would have the shop do is inspect ur CV joints, flush the coolant system with new thermostat, and brake/gas lines.

If you take 2 days off in a row I'd get all the parts you'd need for the following:
Brake pads (shoes and rebuild kit if drums on rear)
run seafoam through system to clean internals
oil filter and synthetic oil 10w30
fuel filter
belts
air filter

Think that's bout it

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
drive it, make sure its the car for you and it runs good before you spend money on a car you dont like, or it fails you. Just because some of us really like the LH line, dosent mean its the car for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all, I want to thank everyone for the replies, they were very good. Even though I take good care of the car, I recently changed the fuel, air and oil filter, I don't think that I'll spend the money to repair or get a new engine if it were to fail. I do have a job and I'm saving up money in case anything happens but like I said, I don't plan on getting a new engine in case it fails. However, I do want to add some mods, nothing super expensive, to make the car look a little bit better.

·
Registered
234 Posts
First of all, I want to thank everyone for the replies, they were very good. Even though I take good care of the car, I recently changed the fuel, air and oil filter, I don't think that I'll spend the money to repair or get a new engine if it were to fail. I do have a job and I'm saving up money in case anything happens but like I said, I don't plan on getting a new engine in case it fails. However, I do want to add some mods, nothing super expensive, to make the car look a little bit better.
Sounds like you know what your looking for, there a plenty of little things that you can do to improve the looks or creature features.

Be warned once you start, you might not stop :biggrin:.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Very good decision. In all honesty, this car is not worth much. So don't throw money in to fix problems before they happen as that can become more than the car's worth very quickly. Only do the essential maintenance: oil change!!, maybe sparkplug and obviously brakes if they are no good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So even though I don't plan on fixing the engine, i'd like to do mods to the car so it can look a little better :) . I've seen some really cool taillight mods but I have no idea how to do them. Also if anyone wants to share some other mods that'd be really cool. I'm looking around the site for more ideas.

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,874 Posts
Welcome to the site!!!!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
200,000 highway miles is still young. I'd rather have that than a 100,000 short trip city car.

As for upgrading the rims, spoilers etc. Most of that will have major depreciation but you can always sell them.

I'm with Sojuro. Change all the filters, fluids and soft parts. Belts and hoses. Ignition tune up and water pump. Depending on how picky of a driver you are. Maybe even 4 struts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's a free car, so I think that gives you some room to spend money on it where you otherwise wouldn't. I would say drive it like it is for a few months, just to make sure no hidden problems show up. As long as you don't go overboard on really expensive stuff, like custom paint jobs or body kits you should be fine. Remember that a lot of things you put on it could be transferred to another car if this one dies, even if you don't get another Intrepid. If you do, then you could transfer just about everything, and you would have your old car for spare parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had the car now for about 3-4 months, and so far the car is running perfect. I went ahead and used a good check from work to buy the HID lights and I'm waiting for the weekend to see if I can swap the gauges from a Concorde to the Intrepid, that way I can do all the work in one day. That's pretty much what I plan on doing so far. Later, I'll see if it's worth spending any more money on it...maybe a new bumper with the foglights =).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts