DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I posted this:
...I got a ransomware yesterday ("Debug malware error 895-system 32.exe failure... call this number to fix the problem" - pay hundreds of dollars and they'll remove the malware. Scumbags!). Used the 4 free fixes on this page, and problem thoroughly resolved: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-debug-malware-error-895-system-32-exe-failure/...
Then I started noticing PCMatic's currently-running TV ad - see below. It says "...worst yet, after infection [by ransomware] it's impossible to retrieve your files and restore normal computer operation without paying a ransom...Since nobody can remediate post-infection..."

While their product may be good, are they stretching the truth (by saying it's impossible to remove the ransomware w/o paying the ransom)? I realize I'm only a sample of one, and, surely, the measures and countermeasures in the area of ransomware will evolve (and now I'll quit calling you Shirley), but following the steps in that link I posted definitely fixed the ransomware problem on my computer.

Anybody else had to deal with ransomware? If so, what was your experience? Anybody actually pay a ransom?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
In my experiences, these types of things (my clean PC, etc) are often just as bad as malware... I have not used PC Matic myself, but I personally do not recommend stuff like this.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,138 Posts
I'd go the manual removal route myself if I had to. Haven't run up against any of these browser related BS "Popups" myself. I have noticed a couple of useful free programs like EaseUs Partition Master try to dump these browser addons in if you're not careful with the install. If you do an "Express" install it dumps the unwanted programs on your system. Only way to prevent that from happening is to select the "Custom" option and unselect the add on malware. And you'll have to do that at least in 2 or more different steps as it tries to trick you into adding the programs if you're not paying attention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would recommend teabagging a mouse trap before I would recommend any of the "cleaners, fixers, etcers".

Most ransomware doesn't encrypt files or anything like that, just puts up a lock screen on your phone or is a malware plugin in your browser that displays a page.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts