DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Dodge Intrepid ES.... I currently have 3.2L that has 216K miles on it. I'm gonna start saving up for a new engine and have been trying to make this car street race worthy. This is actually my 2nd Intrepid, the engine blew in the other one which isn't surprising since it was a 2.7-_-. So are they're better engines that I can place in my car? Estimate price? Other parts that I can install to help w/ speed and such...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not sure I would bother replacing the 3.2 if it still runs fine. It's basically a 3.5 just with less displacement. There are no larger drop in replacements than the 3.5.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I just want the engine to be race worthy. Would actual seperate parts like mods help that. Say my engine was to blow... Should I rebuild it or upgrade?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Danielle,
I gotta tell you ... and this is just my opinion ...
There is no way to get any more than about 250 hp out of these engines.
Unless, UNLESS you are willing to spend around eight grand, $8,000.

You would be better off saving your money and buying a used Challenger
with a newer version of the 3.5 or 3.6.

The Challengers and Charger v6 engines are up to 305hp now.

Like I said, that's just my opinion.....don't throw away your money on a 16 year old car
with more than 200k miles. It's just not worth it (in my opinion).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Danielle,
I gotta tell you ... and this is just my opinion ...
There is no way to get any more than about 250 hp out of these engines.
Unless, UNLESS you are willing to spend around eight grand, $8,000.

You would be better off saving your money and buying a used Challenger
with a newer version of the 3.5 or 3.6.

The Challengers and Charger v6 engines are up to 305hp now.

Like I said, that's just my opinion.....don't throw away your money on a 16 year old car
with more than 200k miles. It's just not worth it (in my opinion).
Lol! I would love a Challenger but I'm 17 ha. I can afford to buy cars that arent brand new and progressively build up. My dad tells me to save my money or make payments on a car but I just don't like the feeling of not actually owning the car. I guess it's just a teenage thing to not be able to save money.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,557 Posts
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......Rrrrrrrrrrr......Rrrrrrrrrrrr.....clank! Rut Roh! LOL!

·
Registered
364 Posts
the sound of a 3.5 shotgunning its self is just amazing....I couldn't believe mine still started and ran with all the moving metal parts whirring around and sounding like 10 3/4" nuts in a blender.....omg

·
Registered
738 Posts
You would be better off saving your money and buying a used Challenger with a newer version of the 3.5 or 3.6.
The new 3.5's are the exact same engine with the exception of the intake, valve covers and timing belt housing to accommodate a new accessory layout.

The only gain with an LX car is you can get a PCM tuner and tune the settings for well, anything. Where our cars lack that ability, unless you get serious and swap in a LX system or buy a piggy back or independent ignition and fuel system.

Your only "bolt" on options are:

- 3.5 engine with the 2.7 transmission final drive gears
- 98-01 = R/T computer or 02-04 = 300M Special computer
- Cold air intake
- Exhaust modifications

You want to get more serious, there are intake spacers, boring your throttle body and under drive pullies. Removing weight from the car is also an option, air bags, A/c, rear seat, door panels whatever...

You want to get MORE serious, Inherita offers three cams stages for the 3.5... Even polished and polished with big-valve heads. Can also polish your lower intake manifold.

Got $2K+ to drop into it, consider forced air induction routes, or a 4L stroker. High stall torque converter, etc.

These cars with the 3.5, gearings and minor bolt on goodies frankly gobble up most cars people play with as it is. A older gentleman around town has a 300M Special he slow-pokes around and when kids catch him at a light with their Civic's, 350z, Accords, Jetta's, whatever, he blows there doors off.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,557 Posts
2012 and later the PCM is locked down on the LX and no tuning is possible.

Even putting a 3.5 from the LX into an LH will not allow tuning period. The LH PCM is locked down.

·
Registered
738 Posts
2012 and later the PCM is locked down on the LX and no tuning is possible.

Even putting a 3.5 from the LX into an LH will not allow tuning period. The LH PCM is locked down.
Mmm not so much the engine is what I was suggesting.

To clarify, the electrical would have to be swapped (engine, trans, dash, body harnesses, the PCM, fuse panel, BCM equivalent, cluster etc). More or less yank all the wiring, and for things like the fuel pump, lights, doors, windows, you'd have to mate the LH with the LX on that area.

More of a legit "race car" route than a mod.

I'm actually gathering things right now too do this... Got the engine bay stuff.

Not sure why they locked the new PCM's... I recall a guy coming in with a 2012 3.6 with the nag01 trans and wanting to "tranzform" it... Didn't leave too happy.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,557 Posts
Yes you can take a long block 3.5 from an LX and put it in an LH. However you wouldn't be able to "Tune" it because all LH PCM are locked down and no one makes "chips" or "tuners" for the LH period.

·
Registered
738 Posts
However you wouldn't be able to "Tune" it because all LH PCM are locked down and no one makes "chips" or "tuners" for the LH period.
Yeah I covered that above, as one of the advantages of an LH.

But you missed where I said SWAP the LX electrical into the LH, which includes the PCM, cluster and all the mentioned harnesses.

More or less, throw away the LH wiring and electrical components and adapt all the LX stuff over. It's feasible, as we've seen LX transmissions adapted to the LH electrical. Just a long tedious labour.

It's something I'm working on myself. I got a Magnum in the backyard that spun a bearing. 3.5, 42RLE... Just need a throttle body and to transfer over all the goodies. The ABS might be the only actual "issue"...

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Yeah I covered that above, as one of the advantages of an LH.

But you missed where I said SWAP the LX electrical into the LH, which includes the PCM, cluster and all the mentioned harnesses.

More or less, throw away the LH wiring and electrical components and adapt all the LX stuff over. It's feasible, as we've seen LX transmissions adapted to the LH electrical. Just a long tedious labour.

It's something I'm working on myself. I got a Magnum in the backyard that spun a bearing. 3.5, 42RLE... Just need a throttle body and to transfer over all the goodies. The ABS might be the only actual "issue"...
wouldn't you have to toss the interior electrics too? The LX PCM wont talk to the LH BCM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The new 3.5's are the exact same engine with the exception of the intake, valve covers and timing belt housing to accommodate a new accessory layout.

The only gain with an LX car is you can get a PCM tuner and tune the settings for well, anything. Where our cars lack that ability, unless you get serious and swap in a LX system or buy a piggy back or independent ignition and fuel system.

Your only "bolt" on options are:

- 3.5 engine with the 2.7 transmission final drive gears
- 98-01 = R/T computer or 02-04 = 300M Special computer
- Cold air intake
- Exhaust modifications

You want to get more serious, there are intake spacers, boring your throttle body and under drive pullies. Removing weight from the car is also an option, air bags, A/c, rear seat, door panels whatever...

You want to get MORE serious, Inherita offers three cams stages for the 3.5... Even polished and polished with big-valve heads. Can also polish your lower intake manifold.

Got $2K+ to drop into it, consider forced air induction routes, or a 4L stroker. High stall torque converter, etc.

These cars with the 3.5, gearings and minor bolt on goodies frankly gobble up most cars people play with as it is. A older gentleman around town has a 300M Special he slow-pokes around and when kids catch him at a light with their Civic's, 350z, Accords, Jetta's, whatever, he blows there doors off.
Thanks! I don't mind 2 grand because I can save that quick but the 11K and stuff I don't have ha.

·
Registered
738 Posts
wouldn't you have to toss the interior electrics too? The LX PCM wont talk to the LH BCM.
That's right.

You'll be literally throwing everything electrical out on the LH - everything. You'll only be able to retain simple things like the door harnesses/switches and courtesy lighting harness. Things like the lock/window switches, head and tail lights is pretty basic circuitry to patch or splice in. About where the "convenience" ends. Good thing the LX fuse panel is in the trunk, LOTS of extra wiring to place things where I'd like!

I'm actually in the process of figuring out if I can run a ATC on manual mode with only just the power being fed to it and no LH BCM communication. Can't imagine the auto mode will work correctly with the lack of the top dash sensor.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm eager to start pulling components... I'll cut the door harness ends and splice an LH set on.

Cluster should be interesting to fit to the LH dash... lol

I thought about a V8 swap. Not sure how well the 5.7's bolt up to a 42LE/42RLE... So I'd have to drop in a NAG01... Now we're talking a RW swap which would be the dream build really for a custom job on one of these vehicles.

Got to more or less picture this project as one of those LS packages you get from Chevy with the motor trans and the entire power system setup to be put in anything from a golf cart to a 55 Belair.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts