DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Is the Intrepid a midsize or large car?

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  234on87 
#1 ·
Or I guess you could say is the Intrepid a midsize or full size car? I was speaking to a Firestone mechanic and he told me it's mid size but I've heard large too so which is most appropriate?

#5 · (Edited)
4000lbs??? where did you get that number?

Curb weight = 3422lbs (Dodge Intrepid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Besides the classification doesnt come from weight. Other cars such as the g35 coupe weight nearly the same if not more in some cases and they are put into different categories.

The intrepid/LH class is a full size sedan because of its length, design and trunk space.
I believe the town car, grand marquis and so on go into the informal limousine class.

Midsize has to be relative to other vehicles the same company sells. In the case of chrysler, the sebring would fit as a midsize, and it competes with the mazda 6, ford fusion, chevy lumina.

Japanese manufacturers are odd in that perspective since they dont really have a midsize car, yet a mix of a compact and a midsize so im not sure what a honda mid size is. Maybe a tsx?? but thats acura so i dont know if that counts. The accord would be a full size sedan.

#8 ·
LOL... ya i guess.

THats odd Shawn, i didnt know mods added that much weight. Even the 300m special was around 3600lbs so im not sure what a normal ES stands at even with what normally come in a 300m.

Anyways i guess it would be cool to look at a scale readout once, i remember my vehicle weight being on the local recycling center scale LOL.

#9 ·
Obviously the larger the car the more difficult it can be to manuever and park. Approximately what percentage of vehicles on the road do you think are larger than an Intrepid.

I don't mean commerical vehicles of course but only residential vehicles so you can include SUVs, Jeeps, minivans, vans, etc.

My guess is about 10 to 15 percent? Or is it more like about 20 percent?

#10 · (Edited)
Im not sure what you're asking now, are you saying that the intrepid isnt a full size sedan in comparison with another 20% of vehicles out there.

1. suv, vans, jeeps do not count because they are not full size cars, yet they are a class on their own.

2. A vehicle can be full sized for various reasons as stated above, if you go to europe, you will find that a sebring is a BIG car there. So is a toyota corolla, my cousins were shocked when they say the size of my car, and with good reason too.

3. Then there are full size luxury sedans which are big to provide comfort, like lexus ls460, bmw 740.

BTW as a side not in case you didnt know, the LX line which now replaced the LH is actually shorter (not by much) but still considered the full size sedan from chrysler.

So to answer your original question, there is no way our cars are midsize by any standards, i guess you can use LARGE or FULL size, either way its a big ass car :smilie_sc

#17 ·
Parked next to my mom's Camry, a midsized car, the Intrepid definitely fits in the large car category. Its considerably larger. Sit inside and you'll be even more of a believer.

The Grand Marquis is longer and a lot heavier...but the Intrepid has more interior space. I know, we have all three cars to compare in our driveway!

The Intrepid handles amazingly for it size....but the 300M Special is mind blowing for the size! (you should do the 300M Special suspension...its awesome!)

#20 ·
The LH's are full size cars. Chrysler referred to the Intrepids and the 300M's as sports sedans. The ratings have changed over the years by the manufacturers. What is considered a full size car today, in most cases would've been considered a mid size car back in the 1970's. The Intrepids are big cars though. Actually longer than the Chrysler (regular length, not extended) minivans. Even slightly larger than my Magnum. 6 inches longer and 1/2 inch wider. Magnum just looks so long because of the long wheelbase (120").

#28 ·
Beauty counts?..I said yes, inch more or less the biggest/comfy car eve made is the Intrepid (lhs platform)..the rest of the large car category is just big as well..just big fugly boxes with the sex appeal of a travesti..and if you are 6' plus like me double the pleasure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.