DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 1997 LHS for about 3/4 years, and now it's come to the point where the love has almost diminished. I had recently gotten into an accident (liability only) in the front right area of the car breaking the headlamp and pushing the right fender far enough back to keep the door jammed. My car was broken into getting my subs/amplifier stolen along with my cd deck, so now I have a $5.99 goodwill donated stock Intrepid radio with tape player that picks up no stations. My windshield recently received a crack running horizontally across it. Paint has been peeling off since - forever, my steering is looser than ever (After already getting the tie rods replaced once) and now, I can't even open my hood (due the scrunched-up-ness from the accident) and my car is overheating now because I can't top off in fluids (always has had a leak with the coolant). What should I do? I have absolutely no money and can't get some for some time. Is it able to be sold for anything? Should I junk the car? Should I have the mechanic force the hood open so I can get antifreeze in it and keep it? I am at a lost point right now. I'd hate to get rid of it, but, the problems are just getting on my nerves. If I could sell it for enough money to get me into anything for transportation for work, that'd be wonderful.

As much as I am whining, I still love it... but for how much longer?

1997 LHS - 138,000 miles - Las Vegas, Nevada
Black dyed carpet
Black Chrysler New Yorker Seats and Door panels

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ohh jeez sounds like a pain in the ass. I would figure out some redneck way to jam the hood open and get some fluids in there cause if the engine goes then you REALLY will be up **** creek with a damaged car and blown engine...worth nothing accept maybe 150-200 at the scrapyard (not sure what the steel price is there). Put a for sale sign in the window for what you think its worth and drive it untill someone offers you somethin, and then look into gettin somethin else cheap that might do better for you.

Sorry to hear about all the misfortune, hope somethin works out for you.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well according to Kelly Blue Book, you should be able to get 2,975 if it's in Fair condition. From the sound of it, it isn't... but at least you can mark it down from 3,000 instead of marking it down from, say, 900.u

What I'd think on the matter is this. Appraise your own car, damage and all, and if the price you'd ask for it is under 1,000-- top off the fluids and keep it. Reason being, you can fix all this stuff. It might not look the best and the colors of the parts might not match but fact is you can actually repair the bumper, hood, and windshield for under 200.00 from a junkyard. Paint honestly doesn't really matter that much, on my old 94 Trep it was peeling since the day I got it and nobody ever cared-- one of the benefits of owning an older car. Now your quarter panel, if that's deformed as well, is probably a beast load of work to repair-- however I'd still be willing to say you could do it for not too much more. I've never replaced any part of the body on my car, and they look riveted together, but if a repair shop can do it, I have no doubt it's possible for me, or you, to do it.

If you're not feeling too mechanically inclined, and you just want a car that runs, then sell or junk it. But if you want to put in a lot more time than money and have your LHS back to good condition, I'd put in the wrench time and fix her up. Personally, I love working on cars, so I never see a reason to junk a car unless, as in the case of my old trep, it has something like a 2x2 hole rusted in the floor under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
etfuller said:
Ohh jeez sounds like a pain in the ass. I would figure out some redneck way to jam the hood open and get some fluids in there cause if the engine goes then you REALLY will be up **** creek with a damaged car and blown engine
Appraise your own car, damage and all, and if the price you'd ask for it is under 1,000-- top off the fluids and keep it.....
If you're not feeling too mechanically inclined, and you just want a car that runs, then sell or junk it.
Yeah, good points made. Thank you for taking time to respond, I think keeping it is what I'll do. If I decide to get it appraised, I'm sorry, but, who does that? An auto shop? Or insurance company? Is it free?

Any suggestions on getting the hood up? Should I crow bar it? Even so, how hard is it to get it to stay down?

Also, do delearships buy cars in this condition without a trade? Or can I only trade it in?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts