DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some cars have filters that clean the air going into the passenger compartment. Does a 2000 Intrepid have one of these. I have had some problems with a strange odor coming from my vents.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Intrepid2k said:
Some cars have filters that clean the air going into the passenger compartment. Does a 2000 Intrepid have one of these. I have had some problems with a strange odor coming from my vents.
My guess would be that it's fungus starting to grow inside of your vents. How do you remove the fungi? I have no idea, since I don't have a foul smell coming from them.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
TONNNNNAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no fungus that grows inside air vents, the smells usually tavel through the vents from the engine compartment. I believe all cars come standard with an air purification filter, or at least I think so. For a quick fix, you can go to any store like Osco, Walgreens, etc., and get yourself one of those glade fresh air things that clips onto the vents, and when the air blows through the vents, it gives off a fresh scent.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The first gen Treps have no vent filter unfortunately, at least for 1995.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Axle said:
TONNNNNAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no fungus that grows inside air vents, the smells usually tavel through the vents from the engine compartment. I believe all cars come standard with an air purification filter, or at least I think so. For a quick fix, you can go to any store like Osco, Walgreens, etc., and get yourself one of those glade fresh air things that clips onto the vents, and when the air blows through the vents, it gives off a fresh scent.
I researched some of the archives and found this quote:
LiqTenExp said:
My uncle is a dodge mech and its from the evaporators drain being slightly blocked. it sorta gets all nasty in there and then you smell it.
Hence the "nasty" stuff that LiqTenExp speaks of is the fungi.
Damn you Aleeeeeexxxx!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
gazetowardthesky said:
CROMBIE FOR IOM !!!

(advertising purposes only)
LOL... thanks... BTW: Where did that come from?
Gaze is my agent. :p

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
crombie said:

I researched some of the archives and found this quote:

Hence the "nasty" stuff that LiqTenExp speaks of is the fungi.
Damn you Aleeeeeexxxx!!!!!!
It doesn't say fungi anywhere, less of course, you were growing mushrooms in there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just to answer you question, Intrepid did/do not come with filters for the cabin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all. Thats all I needed to know. I just got my 2k trep, (the third Dodge in my stable) and I really need to get a manual for it.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
an old trick is to spray Lysol heavily into the air intake vents on the outside of the car (top of hood) and draw it into the system, then dont run the fan for a few hours giving it time to work, you usually need to do it three or four times for it to work

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The smell comes from mold build up on the evaporator.
If it's there, it's too late for my suggestion but to prevent it you must get into the habit of drying off the evaporator before you stop driving the car.
It's very easy, after you develop the habit.
About 1 or 2 minutes before you reach your destination, disable the ac compressor.
Either hit the AC button or take the function off of defrost.
This shuts off the compressor but leaves the heater fan running.
Mold can't grow on a dry evaporator.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
:) Empty a can of lysol into your air intake just above where your windshield wipers are :) That big hole. Put your vents on max, squirt squirt :D it'll be strong at first, but it'll smell better after :D

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
/me pees in EDF's vents.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
/me has his dog do his thing in lafrad's vents, as well as unscrewing the vents and loading some dead skunk into it. :p

Go big or go home :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts