DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
what does it mean if it does or dosent? a quick idea, dont have to go into detail

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If I understand correctly, an 'interference' engine will suffer piston-to-valve contact
and damage if the mechanical timing is not as per specs; like the timing belt/chain breaking, or being off time.
A non-interference engine would allow the pistons full travel with no valve contact,
no matter where the valves are in their cycle.

Reactions: celamantia

·
Registered
360 Posts
ford sho..non.........mitsu eclipse..BIG TIME INTERFERENCE

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
alarkyokie said:
If I understand correctly, an 'interference' engine will suffer piston-to-valve contact
and damage if the mechanical timing is not as per specs; like the timing belt/chain breaking, or being off time.
A non-interference engine would allow the pistons full travel with no valve contact,
no matter where the valves are in their cycle.
Perfect laymans terms!

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ok thanks!! that clears things up. although i am still lost on the website. i put my information in, but were does it say or not?

or could sombody tell me for these 2 cars
99 3.2lt
99 2.7lt

thanks

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
well dan it says my 3.5L is an interference engine, so if i had to guess your 3.2L is one as well, considering they are nearly the same engine

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
sneke_eyez said:
well dan it says my 3.5L is an interference engine, so if i had to guess your 3.2L is one as well, considering they are nearly the same engine

The FIRST gen 3.5 is non-interference IIRC <-- Someone verify this for us!

ALL second gen motors are interference. If the blelt or chain breaks on your 2nd gen, you have a NICE, FAT EXCUSE to port and polish the heads :D

The 3.3 I'm not sure on, something tells me it is also interference... I'm fairly sure the one on my dad's 2001 Caravan is at least.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Danimal217 said:
Ok thanks!! that clears things up. although i am still lost on the website. i put my information in, but were does it say or not?

or could sombody tell me for these 2 cars
99 3.2lt
99 2.7lt

thanks
Well after punching in the info :

3.2 is an interference, 2.7 I think isn't an interference engine, the site doesn't say...

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,831 Posts
1st and 2nd gen 3.2s and 3.5s are all interference, as well as the 2.7. The only one that wasnt interference was the 1st gen 3.3.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
yes the 2.7 is a interferance engine,, so is the 3.2 and 3.5 but ive never seen a 93-97 3.5 crash valves and ive seen quite a few busted belts on them

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
Well after punching in the info :

3.2 is an interference, 2.7 I think isn't an interference engine, the site doesn't say...

Oh it's interference all right, just look at what happens to them if the timing chain tensioner slacks off....

·
Registered
41 Posts
ALL second gen motors are interference. If the blelt or chain breaks on your 2nd gen, you have a NICE, FAT EXCUSE to port and polish the heads :D
2nd Gen 3.2 here. Sounds like if the timing belt has slipped even one notch, valve damage is all but guaranteed?

Before I confirmed the current issue (sudden unexplained misfires on 3 cylinders and 40% drop in compression across all) it was still running fairly smoothly, considering, and i heard no banging or other scary sounds at any point.

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
2nd Gen 3.2 here. Sounds like if the timing belt has slipped even one notch, valve damage is all but guaranteed?

Before I confirmed the current issue (sudden unexplained misfires on 3 cylinders and 40% drop in compression across all) it was still running fairly smoothly, considering, and i heard no banging or other scary sounds at any point.
I don’t believe a one-tooth slip will cause piston-valve collision. I think I’ve seen posts where it was stated that it has to be off maybe 3 teeth or more for that - I could be wrong. And it may be different number of teeth depending on pitch differences of 2.7 chain and 3.2/3.5 belt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts