DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 Intrepid will stop running. Just cut itself off. Usually it would start (shift to neutral, twist the key) right back up.
Then it left me stranded close to my mechanic. He cleaned the positive battery post and it started right up. A month later, it happened to me again. I cleaned the post myself this time. It had plenty of cranking power before cleaning BTW. None of the 5-Star local dealers had any clue as to the ultimate cause. Happen to anyone else?

Everyone suspects a cut-off to the fuel pump is kicking in for some reason, but no one realy knows why.

Martin Burns
95 Intrepid ES
Stock
3 water pumps,
3 timimg belts,
1 transmission,
5 tie rods

·
Registered
44 Posts
About every 6 months or so my Trep just turns off too and then starts right back up. No engine codes or driveability problems. Got me????? Wow 3 waterpumps?? Matt 97 3.5 ES

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
yea... mine does too. pull up to a stop sign.... idles.. then shuts off. I start er up, and no problems again... happend twice so far?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've heard a few variations of this problem, not just in our cars, but others as well.

The Neon's have a tendanc to "stall-out" after starting, but that's usually immediatlely following a batter disconnect/reconnect. That doesn't seem to be a factor in our case.

My stalling problem took place when I would start the car, then it would die without even shifting to any other gear. I replaced the battery (which was three years old anyway) and that seemed to do the trick for a while.

Later the next month I had the same problem. Only when I went to restart there was no cranking, nothing. Replaced the started and it's been fine ever since.

So check your starters, is my advice.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have had this happen to me once, comming off the highway, it just died, started it up again and s`all good... Still bugs me what it was...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hey guys i had this problem and i had it fixe. What would happen is i would be driving and the car while crusing at 10-50mph the ***** would just shut off. so i took it in and they said that they need to replace the

Sensor CA
Sensor OX
Sensor Tll
So i dont know maybe this is youre problem. so hope this helps :p

·
Registered
436 Posts
Definately heard of this problem. I believe that you are experiencing problems with your crankshaft sensor and or your camshaft sensor. I have seen exact same reports of this, where someone is cruising down the road, car shuts off, cruise light and oil light come on, then the car can be re-started. I think there is info at allpar.com on this. If this does happen I don't think you get any codes either. I am going to replace mine even though this hasn't happened to me yet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How many miles on your cars?? I know the dealer told me the O2 Sensors should be replaced after 60K miles....I have replaced one already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been fighting the same problem for over a year now. The car will just die for no reason (usually on the freeway in rush hour traffic), then after a few minutes it will start again and run OK. Finally it is beginning to show an MIL DTC of 11 which indicates no crank sensor signal while cranking. I have already replaced most everything else, so I'll try the crank sensor. The tranny on this thing has failed twice in 93,000 miles and it has left me stranded more than all the other cars I ever owned put together!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I hear you bro, my car has only stranded me once (1 min from my house though) but If it weren't for warranty I would have spent $8000+ on repairs in the first year alone (bought it in 97). Fortunately my tranny is ok....

·
Registered
65 Posts
My brother had the exact same problem and ti took the dealership 3 tries to find the problem. They had him drive around with a recorder hooked up the computer and everytime the problem happened he would turn the recorder on. They said it was the crank shaft sensor and they replaced it and that was the end of that.

-BobVila

·
Registered
2 Posts
battery wouldn't cause the car to stall (if the alternator is good). Once the car is running you don't even need the battery, the alternator should supply enough power to run the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts