DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just this past little while my car has been stalling out on me. I hate this. Sometimes it just does it. I drove it for maybe 1/2 an hour earlier today. Just a while ago i went to the store which aint that far away. Damn thing wouldnt start when I came out. Finally after 4 times it fired, I left got to the damn stop sign and it died. Nothing worse than sitting at a busy intersection with a dead car. Finally one guy said it could be the thermostat. How can I know this. Where is it located anyways? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Thermostat will not cause car to stall, (overheat maybe). Chances are you have a sensor going bad.

Do you have a check engine light? Check the codes by turning ignition on/off three times and counting the flashes, chances are you will find your problem that way.http://dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9477 Check this link.

Maybe you also have bad gas.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
tancowgirl2000 said:
Just this past little while my car has been stalling out on me. I hate this. Sometimes it just does it. I drove it for maybe 1/2 an hour earlier today. Just a while ago i went to the store which aint that far away. Damn thing wouldnt start when I came out. Finally after 4 times it fired, I left got to the damn stop sign and it died. Nothing worse than sitting at a busy intersection with a dead car. Finally one guy said it could be the thermostat. How can I know this. Where is it located anyways? Any other ideas?
First off what engine ? As for your question, the thermostat is located under the upper rad hose/thermostat houseing on the engine:

As for the car dieing, could be the Fuel pump Relay, Fuel Pump, ASD Relay, Coil. I'd start by pull for any code's then go look at the Relays and then go from there. The Relays are under the Relay box ( the big black one) by the Batt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man you guys make it like work...nothing simple huh>? So the car doesnt over heat, I changed the fuel pump a few years ago, I know I need sensors something BAD, which will get done here soon, I just thought there would be an easy quick solution. Thanks for the input. Guess Ill see about taking it in on wednesday if its still alive by then........

·
Registered
36 Posts
My '96 3.5 was doing about the same thing. I replaced several sensors and that took care of the problem.

Is your check engine light on? This would be a good place to start to see if there is a specific problem.

Two sensors that were highly recommended me to replace were the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor. (I also replaced the throtle position sensor, coil pack, and the barometric sensor). I believe that the crank sensor was bad on my car (and/or the coil pack).

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OMG!!! Theres more than just the o2 sensors? Im SO screwed!!!! LMAO! The check engine light has been on and off for years, I just ignore it due to the fact that I was told it was from the o2's needing to be changed....Now the damn car is to the point of having issues of just driving across town. Max I go is 10 klicks from home. Dont dare go on the highway for if it stalls it would be a nightmare here. AND then i'd be hoofing it!

So anyhoo, I was looking the other night, when I first came to this site I found an awesome diagram of where to find the o2's. Recently I seen another post showing what the o2s look like but not how to get to them....does anyone know where that post is?

I should mention again that I have a '95 3.3L.............

Thanks y'all...hehehe

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
In the 95 you just got 2 O2 Sensors. You need to pull the codes to see what you got stored in the computer. Anyway is this what you where looking for?

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Upstream Sensors

3.3L ENGINE

See Figures 10 and 11

Fig. 10: The upstream oxygen sensor on the 3.3L threads into the outlet flange of the manifold

Fig. 11: The O2S sensor can be located from under the vehicle

The 3.3L engine uses two heated oxygen sensors, one on each of the exhaust manifolds. The sensors point toward the engine block.

Raise the vehicle and support it with jackstands.

Disengage the HO2S sensor wiring connector.

Remove the sensor by unscrewing it from the manifold.

To install:

Inspect the threads of the HO2S sensor. Apply an anti-seize compound only if there is none visible on the threads. Be careful not to contaminate the sensor tip with any foreign compounds.

Install the sensor and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).

Engage the wiring connector.

Carefully lower the vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.