DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While not Chrysler related other than the fact she will be sharing a garage with the Intrepid, I can't help but feel great about scoring a 1962 Ford T-bird today for 2500 cdn!

Joy! :circle:

The car is complete an only has a little cancer in the trunk pan and rear 1/4 above the wheel wells. It's been sitting in the back of an old ladies garage for twenty years, belonged to her husband who died and it's been sitting there ever since. Poured a little fresh gas down the carb throats and she fired right up (well, had to jump it too). She setteld right into a nice even idle, deep and thoaty, vibrating the walls of the garage and shaking my lungs deep in my chest. I couldn't get to the bank fast enough! :shocked:

This may not sound like much to a Californian, but it's like striking gold here in Nova Scotia.
I'm an old T-bird guy at heart, and have been without a Ford fix other than my 83 Cobra for some time now.
Can't wait to rip her down to the rockers and build her back up again.

Thunderbird, unique in all the world! (the advertising hype/slogan from 62)

Cheers, and may everyone find that score they're looking for!:beerchug:

BJ

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Where did you finr that!
Better still how did you hear about it 352? colour? detailsMan!

Congreaulations, Fathers day show at the mall unrestord barn fresh cond?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I opened the valley buy and sell and there it was under antique auto's. Guy in Kentville had it in his back yard and partially dissasembled, got tired of it two years after his old man passed on (was thier project).
Some details:
before he bought it, it sat in a garage for twenty years, when they jacked it up to look underneath, the tires were stuck to the floor from being in one spot so long.
color, repainted blue, pretty crappy, needs a full teardown.
Engine fired up on second try after sitting for 2 months. no smoke no rattles knocks or strange noises. 390 4v 3 speed auto. Drivetrain will just get a repaint and cleaning to freshen it up. Big dollars saved on the resto there.
Needs- trunk floor ( they all go over the mufflers) rear quarter patch panells over the wheels (again nothing surprising) and a few rust repairs here and there no bigger than a quarter (underbody). Someone had at her with the bondo at on time instead of working the metal smooth before paint. No prob for an old metal basher like me. have to get my dollies and slapping spoons out of retirement I guess.
Interior needs a redo but only from age, it's all there and only one rip in the drivers seat.
It pretty much just needs some body work and freshening up all around.
My lady is a photographer and we even brought her expensive camera (I'm not even allowed to think about touching that one) but somehow we forgot to take the CF cards. I guess it was my fault as we left the house in a pretty big hurry after I called the guy and he said it was still for sale.
I guess the first picks will have to be it going onto the carrier on the 15 july. We move into the new house on the 13 july, best part is the new house has two seperate garages! Guess what going to be going on behind door number two!

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait................

It's like waiting for xmas! New house, new car, can it get any better? (well, still gotta pay for it all, that sucks! Better check my lotto tickets!)

Cheers

BJ

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I'm jealous!! Nice find! I've been keeping my eye's open for a '63 roadster, but so far no luck (within my price range). Sounds like you've got a good project car on your hands! Have fun!! We need lots of progress pics once ya get started!!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, seeing how this is dodgeintrepid.net and not a Ford site, I'll probably post a few pics to start and then perhaps a link to a site more appropriate to the topic (I'm on a couple boards for Fords too).
Don't want to clutter up the site with too much non-Chrysler stuff.

A roadster would be cool, albiet usually very expensive. If you want something that "looks like" a roadster, find an affordable convertable and buy the tonneau. Not original, but that's essentially all a roadster is. Also, they made more roadsters in 62 than 63 so that's a more likely model to find. 63's are a bit more rare. The tri powered roadsters are virtually impossible to find, I hope to score a tri power setup for my 62 once I get rolling (mostly for the bling factor). The 390 4v was rated at 300 hp and the tri power (M code if I remember) was rated at 340 hp.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I had a "69 Mercury Montery with the 390 ....it'll suck gas, but it had some kick to her. Make sure you check the condition of the points and condenser in the distributor as those engines are pre-electronic ignition....

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Great White said:
A roadster would be cool, albiet usually very expensive. If you want something that "looks like" a roadster, find an affordable convertable and buy the tonneau. Not original, but that's essentially all a roadster is. Also, they made more roadsters in 62 than 63 so that's a more likely model to find. 63's are a bit more rare.
Yes...which is exactly why I want a '63 Roadster. :biggrin:

I wouldn't worry too much about cluttering up the site with non-Mopar stuff...I do it all the time! lol! I've got my TBird pics scattered al over the place! :biggrin: We're all enthusiasts, adn enjoy a nice ride, no matter who makes it...especially when it's a true classic!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cobra65 said:
I had a "69 Mercury Montery with the 390 ....it'll suck gas, but it had some kick to her. Make sure you check the condition of the points and condenser in the distributor as those engines are pre-electronic ignition....
Umm.... yeah.
By the time I'm done with her, won't be a worry. She comes home and shortly after will be in little baggies on the shelves. Besides, I'm old enough to have actually worked on points, ever set the dwell? And yes points suck. Thanks for the thought though.
Of course, post EMF of the next big one, the 'bird will run while all the ecu equipped vehicles will be suprisingly quiet!

As far as gas mileage........
Meh, not the purpose of this car. I'll be driving her to meets and sunday drives with my "trophy wife" beside me! It's all about showing off! :icon16:

The Tbird 390 came with 300 hp, but figure in around a 4000lb car and 300 hp sounds, well...............
merely adaquate.

It's the 400ftlbs of torque this motor makes that makes it enjoyable anyways.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Yeah, that IS sweet......I'll take 2 please ;)

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Great White said:
Hey in2deep, a little somethin for you to drool over:

http://www.classicdreamcars.com/63TBirdSprtRoad.html

Cheers

BJ
Yep! Very nice indeed! I've had the opportunity to sit in one of those factory Sport/Roadsters when I went to the Barret/Jackson auction several years ago. It was all original, pretty decent shape, but was in need of a full resto. That was the same year my neighbor bought an "F" Bird...and the year I bought my last '88 Sport TBird... Man...that was a fun year! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh my, an "f" model. You must have a friend with a deep pockets. The 57 "f" model is my all time dream car.
Unfortunately, it'll probably never get to be any more than a dream. Too expensive these days.
Well, there's always the lotto I suppose.........

cheers

BJ

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Yeah, he does ok...he's in the engineering group up at Hill AFB...been there for 20+ years as a civilian. Last time I talked to him, he had 5-6 old 55-57 Birds..including the F"F Bird. Very nice collection. After the "little" Birds, the '62-63 Birds are some of my favorites as far as the classic ones are concerned. Keep us updated on the resto!!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
couple quick pics:

all the missing stuff is inside. It would be in the trunk if the trunk side floors weren't removed.

She's just waiting for me to bring her home.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.......................

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
She's got a few trouble spots (trunk floor, quarters, etc) but it's all easy fix stuff.
I'm sort of thinking a tasteful resto mod.
I'm leaning towards a tri power manifold (three 2bbl's) but they're pretty rare. May end up with dual quads.
I'll loose the fender skirts for sure and give her a little forward rake to loose
the cruiser look. I'm considering a slight top chop (maybe 2 to 3 inches) to make the roof line a bit more aggressive. getting the winshield and tempered glass cut around here is difficult and expensive though.
Wheels are another stickler. defineatley no bigger than 16 inchers, probably 15's to keep it a little retro looking.

I'm really leaning towards boyds smoothie wheels:

Or maybe something a little more timeless and period for the car:

maybe more like this:

I'm really tossed up about the interior; stock or modernized (but original looks).

Oh well, got lot's a time before I whip out the order forms for parts.
Gotta get her home and stripped first.

Cheers

BJ

1 - 20 of 53 Posts