DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change over my winter tires and my floor jack stopped working.

So i had to dig out the factory sissor jack.

It worked better than i expected so i thought i would get one from the junk yard and put caster wheels on it !

The question is haw much wieght does the jack pick up on each corner?

To determine how heavy a caster to get!

·
Registered
709 Posts
You don't wanna do that, reason being: Sissor jacks work good for thier size and all but they are extremely unstable to sidewards motions and can/have dropped cars before. Adding casters to this jack would make it more likely to want to roll out from under the car and drop the it on who or what ever is below.... not a safe place to be.

I'd say stick with a floor jack and leave the sissor jack inthe truck for just incase emergencies.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'd be careful. That factory jack has a small footprint. I'd get casters that can displace the total weight of the car. I think to do that you will need some big and tall casters unless you can find the little cast iron ones that are used on some hydraulic jacks. I think the factory jack is designed to displace the cars weight by resting flat on the ground. You may damage the foot of the jack if all the weight is being transferred to 4 small corners of the jack instead of the entire plate. I’d have to look at my jack to be sure.
I’ll bet after you purchase 4 quality casters you could have purchased a nice hydraulic jack from Wallyworld probably for less $.

-GB49

·
Registered
211 Posts
Scissor jacks are also known for failing pretty spectacularly on a regular basis. The factory jack is ONLY there to let you change a flat in an emergency, and shouldn't be used for anything else.
I (stupidly) was working on an 80s firebird at one point with the scissor jack holding the car up. The jack collapsed while I was under the car, and it landed on me. I didn't get seriously injured, but I was stuck under the car for a couple hours until someone else happened to come by and find me.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good thoughts, but all i want to do is change tires on flat pavement!

Thanks for the input!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,310 Posts
Can we get a release waiver signed before you crawl under there? I wouldn't let my mother in law under the car with a stock jack...I love her that much!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
What can be easier than a hydrolic floor jack? I use a large one for trucks and in 4 pumps the car is up in the air. I couldn't imagine using that crappy scissor jack that would likely fall over if I leaned on the car too much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts