1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Jiffy lube got jiffy owned.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
This is exactly why I ALWAYS bring my car to a local privately owned shop for oil changes & tires. I know the owners well and trust them. I know some people that used to work at the big chain garages like meineke & monroe and the same stuff goes on there. I hope my car never needs any major repairs that I can't do myself because I don't know who I can trust as the shop I go to does only brakes, tires, suspension & exhaust.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I was skeptical at first cause a lot of times these news specials are nothing but a long stretch. But 5 out of 9 is hella not acceptable.

The only thing I ever let Jiffy Lube or any other rapid oil change place do is just that, the oil change and everytime I am out in the bay watching.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
i usta work at Valvoline Instant Oil change..

and we had ppl complain about jiffy lube all the time, we had one guy who was outta state at the time of his oil change, so he hit a jiffy lube.. when he came in for a change after it, he still had our filter on it..

i could tell you some horror stories about jiffy lube..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well I cant speak for the other service centers only the one I run. But i know interally Jiffy lube retrained thouse employees at thouse service centers and fired all management innvolved. Jiffy Lube is also doing mystery shops of their own to make sure it never happens again.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
I know somebody who took ther tow truck to a jiffy lube and when he left he got about 5 blocks and the engine locked up. The dumbass at the store left the drain plug out. This is exactly why I do all of my oil changes and if I go on a trip and I am getting close but not right at 3000, I will change it early.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well things do happen. Even at your local small shops. But unlike your local shop Jiffy Lube has the means to give a 90 day 3,000 miles warrenty on all of there services and its nationwide. So no reason to worry.

·
Registered
265 Posts
95trep3.3 said:
I know somebody who took ther tow truck to a jiffy lube and when he left he got about 5 blocks and the engine locked up. The dumbass at the store left the drain plug out. This is exactly why I do all of my oil changes and if I go on a trip and I am getting close but not right at 3000, I will change it early.
I bet they bought your friend a brand new engine?

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I used to manage one a long time (20 years) ago. The service quality is pretty much dependant on the people you hire. I had some great employees, and a perfect service record with 0 complaints over the 4 year period I was manager. My issue with the fast lube places, other than the quality of work, is the severe lack of quality in their filters and oil. Bulk oil will eventually get water (condensation) in it, and their filters suck!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I will wait for a repair if I can. And the places I normally go have those glass windows you can watch from. Tires are real bad. On a older car I had. I went to Sears. Watched the guy do my tires and then had the guy take the tires back off my car so they could be check to insure they are not leaking. So as I am watching. I see the guy take one of tires back off and redo it. I would have had a flat.

As for other stuff, I watch as much as I can.

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
buffalo r/t said:
if you do it your own you dont have to worry about all that crap
all you have to blame is yourself
Yeah man, people that take their cars to these places need to have their heads examined. I have ALWAYS changed my oil myself. I mean how hard is it to buy oil and a filter?
I know this girl that had her eclipse's oil "changed" at a "Quick lube" place and turned out that they actually drained the old oil, but never put anything else in it. They sent her on her merry little way... BONE DRY!
Needless to say, she blew her motor, and from what I heard, she did get the lube place to pay for it, but, still.
All I could do is shake my head and say "thats what you get"

·
Registered
113 Posts
Jiffy Lube sucks... they use shitty oil , even shittier filters and try to upsell you on everything no matter how many miles are on your car... My x-wife took her '05 Accord w/12,000 miles on it there, and they tried to convince her that she needed to have the trans. flushed.... crooks!

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
guynlidia2006 said:
Well things do happen. Even at your local small shops. But unlike your local shop Jiffy Lube has the means to give a 90 day 3,000 miles warrenty on all of there services and its nationwide. So no reason to worry.

Thats total B.S.

Just try to cash in on that warranty when they **** it up.

i would LOVE to get in on this conversation, but i'm court ordered not to discuss it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was a Jiffy Lube customer for a few years when I was driving my old Toyota.

I almost always watched them do the work on my car.

The reason why I stopped going there is because their service is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive. They want 30 bucks for an oil change. Most garages charge you only 20 bucks.

You guys think that paying for service that was never done is bad and you think that having a blown engine is bad?

One time after doing a transmission fluid drain and refill, they did not tighten the drain plug enough and while driving home on a rainy Thanksgiving, my car did a 180 on the highway...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Intrep_ED said:
Yeah man, people that take their cars to these places need to have their heads examined. I have ALWAYS changed my oil myself. I mean how hard is it to buy oil and a filter?
I know this girl that had her eclipse's oil "changed" at a "Quick lube" place and turned out that they actually drained the old oil, but never put anything else in it. They sent her on her merry little way... BONE DRY!
Needless to say, she blew her motor, and from what I heard, she did get the lube place to pay for it, but, still.
All I could do is shake my head and say "thats what you get"

in cali, its getting much easier to (and many times cheaper) to go have it done, than to go get the stuff, do it, and then figure out what the hell u are going to do with the used oil and filter, where if you take it somewhere (that you trust) they deal with all that

i mean do the math,
filter = 3
5 q oil at 2.50 q = 12.50
gas spent, driving to partstore twice = 1-7 dollars (depending on where you go)(and twice cuase you have to go buy the oil & filter, and then drive back to turn in your used oil)
that equals = 16.50-22.50 (plus tax where applicable)

and the average oil change runs around 20 bucks at a shop... plus you have the advantage of not having to get all dirty and greasy!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Though I rarely every pay $30 for an oil change, the reason why these places can charge $30 is cause there's a convenience fee. Sure, you can go to a garage and pay $20, but that means making an appointment and then being there at a certain time or if you just show up, you usually will have to wait quite awhile unless you're lucky and they aren't that busy.

And besides, just stay out in the bay and make sure that they are doing their job. Not in a mean way, I usually just stand out there and BS with the guys.

Plus, if you only want to spend $20, then just take advantage of their early bird special or something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts