DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group,
The past couple of weeks, I have been toying around with the idea of building a "junkyard stroker" My thought is to buld a stroker motor that won't break the bank, but give a decent enough performance boost to make it worth while. This is going to involve pulling resources from various Mopar product lines to make this happen. To be honest, I don't know if this will even be possible, but it worth a shot.

Here are what my thoughts are...
I have a 3.5L short block in my storage locker as we speak. I know that it has main bearing issues, so the crank will have to come out. What I was thinking was putting in a 3.8L crank & rods, and 4.0L pistons, or maybe even reusing the 3.5L slugs that are in there now. If I were to go with the 4.0 slugs, the motor would be bored & stroked. If I kept the 3.5 slugs, it would be a straight stroker.

Heads would be 3.5L heads with reground cams, with perhaps some mild porting & polishing. Intake would be OEM. I don't think that any additional changes would need to be made as far as fueling this beast, though looking at 3.8 fuel injectors would be an option perhaps.

So, let's get the conversation started.....

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
3.8 OHV? The crank would not work due to the timing gear and oil pump drive, unless you had a lot of machine work done. Far as the main bearings I am unsure if the mains are the same and what would require work.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Not to piss in your cheerios, but has anyone proven (with numbers) that all this work is really worth it?
Good question...I was thinking the same thing and wrote something similar to this before I erased the post thinking I might get some hash for it.

I'd like to see some numbers. Plus if we needed engine parts Columbus is pretty much a dead duck...either they are yanked before we get there or it's full of fubar'ed 2.7's

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to piss in your cheerios, but has anyone proven (with numbers) that all this work is really worth it?
Historically, strokers are great for torque.
I haven't see numbers, but this is primarily research only at this point.

3.8 OHV? The crank would not work due to the timing gear and oil pump drive, unless you had a lot of machine work done. Far as the main bearings I am unsure if the mains are the same and what would require work.
I thought Chewie built a 1G stroker of sorts using a mix-match of parts.

*cough*turbocharge*cough
That's the easy way out...well not really, but you get the idea??

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Dave was orignally going for a 4.0, but with the machine work to get the oil pump to work was a bit out of hand. Hence he sold the 4.0 crank it to dmondeac and the first 4.0 stroker came about.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
power is just a question of money,, how much ya got?

building a more powerful mill for a LH is fine,, just remember,, our transmissions arent the strong., so , again,, its could be a lost cause

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Step one: Buy base intrepid
Step two: Buy a cheap 360 powertrain
Step three: Add equal parts intrepid and 360, a dash of fuel cell and your rear end of choice, mix, and enjoy.

Seriously. You cant tell me that a dirty RWD conversion would be that much more expensive or complicated as an attempt at a refined stroker build. And it would be SO much more fun!

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
The 4.0L piston is the same bore as the 3.5L so you do not pick up any displacement there, it is all in the crank and rods. I know that they make over bored piston for the 3.5 so maybe offset grind the crank and maybe the 4.0 rods to get more displacement.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Step one: Buy base intrepid
Step two: Buy a cheap 360 powertrain
Step three: Add equal parts intrepid and 360, a dash of fuel cell and your rear end of choice, mix, and enjoy.

Seriously. You cant tell me that a dirty RWD conversion would be that much more expensive or complicated as an attempt at a refined stroker build. And it would be SO much more fun!
If I were going to do this...I wouldn't be using a 360...
I would at least get a 5.7 Hemi...
Or perhaps a newer 4.7
Those put out over 300 HP

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I can get the cams reground for $180.
Now I just need to acquire the heads.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, I know, Old thread... The Plymouth Prowler guys have an expensive option, 5.0 stroker for the 3.5.... Yes, a 5 liter V6. Back to lurking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts