DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night i was out driving around and i stopped on top of a small patch of ice and just for the hell of it I threw it into reverse and stomped on the gas.. I looked at my gauges and at around 6000rpms the speedo read about 55mph...

who the hell in their right mind would try doing 55+ in reverse??? thats just plain fricken crazy:eek:

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
actually what I think happened is the rpm's are on some sort of ration with the speedometer read out when you did that. my 1985 oldsmobile delta 88 used to do that in drive if you were going like 10-15 on slick roads and you floored it. plus I think the bald tires I had helped a bit with that.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had a friend named Mike Torres. His driving was the stuff of legend. He once got his Chevy Lumina up to 75 in reverse.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
95-TREP-3.5 said:
my 1985 oldsmobile delta 88 used to do that in drive
My speedo will go up like that in my Intrepid when I am spinning on ice.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've hit 80mph, in 1st gear, on ice.... doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Warlord187 said:
Thank god I didn't hold down the gas pedal any longer because I was about a foot away from dry pavement! :eek: That would have been a launch! :biggrin:
That's how I dropped the tranny in my LeBaron. You might have gotten a streak of tranny fluid instead of a nice launch. :p

·
Registered
121 Posts
pimped3point3 said:

My speedo will go up like that in my Intrepid when I am spinning on ice.
We talking about cars or underwear here?:tongue:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
MoparPerformance said:
oooohhhh man, you guys are funny........! My tranny has been bumpin' and hesitating ever since I got my trep so I don't care as much as I normally would. This person was tryin' to squeeze by me in this Honda when the lane wasn't big enough to turn at the corner, the light was red I thought he was gonna ride the sidewalk. Kept getting closer and closer, trying to squeeze through, stupid because people ahead were farther over to the right ahead and he couldn't go anyway. When the light changed, I stayed there punched it in Neutral, hit the rev limiter and dropped it down, I smoked the tires so freakin' hard, I put down like 20 feet of rubber and there was smoke from the tires.

I'm sure it was not good for the tranny. Only did it cause my tranny has been f$%&'d since I bought that damn thing, still working fine. Stupid thing......
Yeah, you probably messed something up, if you didn't your really lucky.

My friend has a 3.3L intrepid, he backed out of his drive way. He thought he put his car in drive, but it was in Neutral. The engine revved to 5000rpms, he panicked and droped it into Drive... His tranny blew up... completely destroyed. He tried all the gears, nothing worked, engine would just rev...

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Black94ES said:
His tranny blew up... completely destroyed. He tried all the gears, nothing worked, engine would just rev...
That's the way my Lebaron was. I pushed it 4 bocks in dive. :p

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, well hopefully the service department will actually repair it. It really slams hard sometimes, it's embarrassing. It whines really loud, started doing this after a few hundered miles and barely driving it. It's a new freaking car. I have been patient and have waited.

I hate to say it but hopefully the damn thing will just fail so the service department will actually do something and quit playing stupid. Otherwise it still drives and I'm going to forget about it.

Damn, that really sucks.............!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Have you gotten the service guy's to drive your car? If they have and they don't do anything about it, complain to DC if your car is under warranty. Or go to another dealership.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My steering started squeaking at times the day I brought it home. All of a sudden it began drifting to the left. It stopped doin it after a while. Then I started to notice clunking in the front end. Then my tranny issues started.

They play stupid because they don't know what to do. The shop foreman supposedly checked for fault codes for the tranny, none were found of course. He ran the transaxle number, nothing in TCM updates found.

He said he couldn't duplicate the steering issues. We went to a parking lot and he blamed the squeaking on the parking spaces that were painted on the cement hitting the tires. I explained that it occured otherwise. He wouldn't acknowledge it.

I got the front end to clunk several times, he stated there was nothing he could do since everything looks fine.

Basically he told me I'll have to wait till' the problems get worse or soemthing actually fails. I have a feeling that since it is a new car with only a few thousand miles they are in disbelief that there could be any problems or something. I have called DaimlerChrysler several times and they keep telling me the district service manager will contact me. Never happens.

I'll just keep waiting I guess.............

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Hmm, I have a first gen Chrysler 94 Intrepid, I had a clunk ever since I bought my car second hand (yes I'm the second owner)
Well it being second hand they replaced tie rods, ball joints etc to make sure its all safetied, and it seems when I took it back a month later, OOps! They didn't tighten the spacer on the left front upper tie rod, there is a spacer that connects the inner and outer tie rod, to adjust camber. Have them check that out? Complain that your steering is slightly off and have them do an alignment or something :p They'de find it then! :)
:devil:

·
Banned
439 Posts
I've hit 80mph, in 1st gear, on ice.... doesn't mean anything.
80mph in first gear??? isn't there a speed limit for each gear regardless of how much drag there is?? if not, at what speed would it shift into 2nd??? this just seems really weird that it could be that high in 1st....If I floor it from a dead stop, I only get to about 28mph before it shifts to 2nd......anyone like to clear this up?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The original topic was talking about spinning the tires on ice with tires going 55mph, not the car.
All cars with an electronic speedometer will have the same speedometer reading whether going forward or back. Old cars with mechanical speedometers will try to go under 0mph while reversing and they will also roll the odometer backwards. Since the electromagnetic sensors only sees pulses from the output shaft it can't determine the direction only number of pulses / second which it converts to speed.

As for the speed limit in each gear from the last post.
These cars have a rev limiter and some have a speed limiter. The also have a failsafe whereas if you overrev the engine in a low gear it will automatically switch to the next higher gear regardless of what forward gear the shifter is in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts