DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a Thought…
I’ve decided to say my piece. If you agree, good, of you don’t, fine, it’s just something that came to mind while perusing this section over the last few days.

Time and time again I’ve seen people post stories and of course videos of things that they’ve done behind the wheel, that while they probably enjoyed it, it probably could be categorized as a foolish. The reason I use the word foolish is covers so many situations.

fool•ish (fū'lĭsh)
adj.
1. Lacking or exhibiting a lack of good sense or judgment; silly: foolish remarks.
2. Resulting from stupidity or misinformation; unwise: a foolish decision.
3. Arousing laughter; absurd or ridiculous: a foolish grin.
4. Immoderate or stubborn; unreasonable: foolish pride; foolish love.
5. Embarrassed; abashed: I feel foolish telling you this.
6. Insignificant; trivial: spent all their money on foolish little knickknacks.
(Thank you www.answers.com)

While we may disagree with what this hypothetical individual has done, and we might think they don’t understand the consequences of their action, or think they are just bad drivers, time and time again I see people choose one of the least effective means of voicing their concern. This is of course name calling and put downs. Whether you have studied psychology or just know how people generally react to things, you probably know that this approach is probably going to just alienate the individual who has sparked your concerns or is going to anger them. Either way they are almost definitely not going to take anything you say to heart, and probably will just respond defensively and be angered with you rather then possibly even for a split second thinking about what they have done.

Now obviously the internet is a place where people are able to voice their opinions with complete freedom, but I think especially in this category of this forum it might be advantageous to voice your concerns in a tactful way so the person who you believe has done something foolish is more likely to be receptive to what you have to say.

Anyhow I just wanted to get that off my chest, so if you want to write it off as the crazy rambling of a hippy that’s fine. But thanks for reading it anyway.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I went into some great detail in explaining why showcase's high speed run was foolish, I believe a lot of others did the same as well. A lot of variation in opinions tough, that's for sure...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll agree that it ended up being pretty civil on that thread at about the post 100 mark or so. Honestly I didn’t go back through that thread to see who let the video get under their skin, and who didn’t. But this is more in general, not specifically about that thread or as a means to point the passive aggressive finger of blame at anyone.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I agree, didn't chime in bc the thread went way beyond anything I could add, and turned into ppl trying to explain why they felt as they did, him calling ppl names and ppl calling him names. Unfortunatly some people express themselves by name calling and theres nothing you or I can do that will make them change at least that's my opinion.

Many people, not just that thread throw out the line 'Driving isn't a right its' a privilege' and it is neither it is a Responsibility, to yourself, your family, your friends, and more importantly to everyone else on the road and their friends, familes etc.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt that anyone will truly take what I’ve said and change the way they interact with other people, but at least I got this off my chest. I guess I just like to see people act in a civil manor to each other whether they agree or disagree. But I completely agree with driving being a responsibility not a privilege. For instance if my 81 year old neighbor who can’t turn his head very well, I think has cataracts, and probably has less then optimal reaction time, can drive around a big old Cadillac legally, obviously it’s more the drivers responsibility to drive prudently, then just a privilege.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts