DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, I still have my 2000 RT. But no....did I not buy a semi-new Dodge Truck. Instead I bought a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew cab - 4-door.

MY thing is that I got a great deal on this 91000 mile truck. It looks very clean and it does have the 3.3 6cyl manual 5 speed. It also has the larger than normal 265/7015's on it. Sort of looks like ballons....heheheh

Anyway, I seem to have a problem. At 70mph, in 5th geart, I am running @ 3000-3100 RPM. It that not too high?? Would it be maybe my CAT or muffler is/are glogged?? The gas milage does suck a little. ****, I hot 80 mph and I was at 3400-3500RPM.

I know that this is not a NISSAN site, but I have a DODge member that is just looking to see if anyone can help here. THX !!:blush:

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
This is a TRUCK! They're not designed to drive 70-80 mph all day like your car. They're built for hauling stuff or towing...which requires low-end torque. I don't think that rpm is out of line at all.

Good luck with it! I woulda bought a Dakota though.. :) But that's just me...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hummmm.....that is what I was thinking also. But I would assume that would be for a much older truck. But a 2000?? I just don't know??

Why not a Dakota?? I don't like the design of it. Plus , Nissan and Toyotas "rep" is untouchable.

·
9,861 Posts
Could just be high gearing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
my ranger rode like that, they got so much drag on them from being hier up, no aerodynamics, and yor rear end is much lighter, so if it is rear wheel drive at high speeds u wont get good contact, driving a truck is much harder than car, once i switched from ranger to interpid, I could almost fall asleep, and in my ranger the speedometer only went p to 85, plus the engine light came on running 80 for more then an hour.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow !!! I had no friken idea how these small/midsize trucks work. I had always imagined that something like this would happen to 4-wheel drives only.

Now a Ford Ranger and a Ford Expedition are 2 totally different things?? Small enigine compared to a V-8?? Or is everything the same??

·
Registered
102 Posts
expedition, thats like a king size jeep, that will ride edifferent cause of the added weight in the back, the roof, added seats, doors, and rear tail gate, im glad i got the intrepid, cuase the last time i hopped in the ranger, i got up to 55 and it felt like a bus, if I were to take a turn i felt like i was gonna flop over, and if I touched the gas to hard the tires spin, u can almost notice the difference in weight, look at the distance from tire to fender, mine gots like an inch of difference in the front compared to the back. The only thing i love about my ranger is, i can park it anywhere, dont have to worry about backiong up, and the different gears for toeing. I use it to hall a single open wood/metal body trailer, and either a Ford 1924 coupe or 1923 touring ford model t on it. Did I forget to mention that my father is the webmaster for this site http://www.model-t-ford.com/ and I have my own 1924 coupe, the one on the front page. also the international oderator for this site
www.modelt.org my other favorite thing to besides intrepids

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Once a gear is hooked up, it's hooked up. It's more of a mathematical equation of the engine speed multiplied by the gear ratio. It doesn't matter what's happening, your tire rotation speed is directly related to your engine rotation speed. It doesn't matter if your Cat's are clogged or if you're making 100 more HP with NOS, it's all in the gearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts