DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, today my offer got approved, I pick up my 2002 Intrepid ES with 35K miles on Tuesday!!! :love:

so, i have oil questions:

where exactly is the oil filter and oil plug?

i want to change the oil myself, and i have no clue where they are

also: should i start using synthetic???

i have no idea whats in it right now, but is it worth the extra money?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Guy.. you should know before you buy any car to get a repair manual and look it over first. Thats my bit of advice for the day :) Always make sure a car is easy to work on before you buy it!

-Brandon

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, ok, didnt know that, but thanks for the advice...

so, uhh, can anybody tell me if they are????

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
sneke_eyez said:
well, today my offer got approved, I pick up my 2002 Intrepid ES with 35K miles on Tuesday!!! :love:

so, i have oil questions:

where exactly is the oil filter and oil plug?

i want to change the oil myself, and i have no clue where they are

also: should i start using synthetic???

i have no idea whats in it right now, but is it worth the extra money?

thanks!
Buy some rhino ramps, and crawl under there, you're blind if you don't find them. You didn't buy the '02 with frame damage did you?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
Buy some rhino ramps

Wow.. I've never thought of buying ramps before... I always use the old jacks with jackstand method... I should invest.. how much for some good ramps?

-Brandon

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok cool

and yeah, i bought the 02 that had been in an accident where it may have received frame damage, but anything done to the frame has been repaired (or, as is highly likely, nothing at all was done to the frame, it was just checked out after the accident)

i have had 3 licensed, certified mechanics look at it just to be sure, and each has nothing to do with the dodge dealer where i got it, and each one said the right fender where it had been hit had been replaced well and there were no signs of frame damage

so i'm confident that i'm not buying something with a lot of problems

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Yikes..! Advice number two for the day: No matter what repair work is done, a car in an accident will never be the same. You will probably go through tires quicker too!

Note to self: You feel like a dick when you tell somebody who JUST bought a car that he shouldnt have... :(

-Brandon

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
well thanks intrepid01!!!

what exactly are the advantages of using synthetic??

i understand Astro, but i decided the deal was good enough i was going to take that risk

my mom's 2000 Taurus spun on the ice the winter after she bought it new, and it was mangled all to hell (if it wasnt brand new it would have been totaled), and it still drives well (as well as a taurus can :D ), doesnt go through tires quicker or anything (got a bunch of scratches on the back because she can't back up for **** though), runs fine, no noises, rides nice, etc.

my dad's 97 Taurus was also in an accident (it got rear-ended) before we owned it, and the only way you can tell is because the edge of the trunk lid started rusting (its got a ton of miles, so that would have started happening anyway)

i could still get out of the deal, (haven't given them anything but a $100 deposit yet), but i am not really that bothered by the accident that much simply because both of my parents cars were in pretty bad accidents (much worse than what my Trep has been in) and neither Taurus has had any side effects (both have over 85K on them)

gonna sleep on it, because its 12:10 AM and i'm exhausted...

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
If it's just the fender then theres not alot to even worry about. As far as buying a repair manual, yea it's a good idea, but to read it over before buying a car? Comon...the newer the car, the more complicated it's going to be, the harder it's going to work on yourself. Hell the 5 speed autos in the LX's don't even have dipsticks, let alone work on those cars yourself.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, exactly!!

and thanks for the welcome DCell

lol, i did notice theres a large amount of silver Treps on here

mybe we really should start our own club.... :)

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
sneke_eyez said:
.....i did notice theres a large amount of silver Treps on here

maybe we really should start our own club.... :)
I'm in!! lol, Welcome aboard!! :gross_07:

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
Well.. I'm gonna start a silver trep hater club :p

-Brandon

AHAH!!! :biggthump

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)