DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever bought tires from Pepboys?

Well I did.

I needed tires BAD, but At the present time I could not buy the ones I really wanted ( POTENZA'a like WUTANG ) because of money. I was running a nice Pirelli ZR 235/50/16. These tires were gone.

To make a long story short for everyone, I purchsed the FUTURA Touring SE 225/60/16 w/80,000 mile tread life/warrant. These tires are like the top of the line in Touring for Pepboys. I picked them up for ONLY $240 for the 4 of them with tax. Add another $24.00 at my tire shop for the mounting and stuff!

What do you guys think?? Good deal?? The tires are not fancy looking, but they sure make the car feel a lot better on the road!

:D

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
An 80,000 mile warranty for that price, **** I would say that's a damn good deal. They may not be anything special, but **** that's a good warranty for $240 for the set.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ok, just to warn you on tire warranties. They don't mean ****!!! For the amount of money that you spend trying to get them to replace the tires it is not worth even trying. First thing that you must do is have your car's alignment checked. The cheapest that I have ever had this done was $65 dollars for just the fronts (they will require a 4 wheel alignment). There is also a whole host of other things that must be checked at the owner's (your) expense and in some cases you end up spending more money on getting all that **** checked out than what you would spend to just get a good set of tires.

On the tire price thing. I just bought 4 Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical w/ WR speed rating on TireRack for $386 about a month ago. That's shipping included. Then another $50 for mounting and balancing (extra $1 per wheel for the stick-on weights) and I have an awesome set of tires on my car. I am very pleased with them. Previously I had a set of Michellin X-One's on and these Dunlop's out perform them in everything but the dry performance where I would say that they are about equal. The local retail tire store in town wanted over $430 for the complete set of tires and that didn't include any balancing. Just goes to show you that you can always get a better price online and TireRack has great prices most of the time.

The only problem with purchasing tires from discount stores is that most of them are second rate tires (AKA BJ's Tire). They have all been rebranded in some way or another and they throw on huge warranties so that you over look the fact that they are second rate tires.

My only experience with this has been with BJ's Tire and I would highly recommend staying the HELL away from there if you want your tires to last as long as they should. I don't know if the same applies with PepBoys so don't flame me...

Later,

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: swartlkk ]

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i ran the top of the line Futruas on me Lebaron, for beeing from pep boys and stuff they are actually a very good tire. I remember Motor Trend did a test against them and Goodyears tires on a 99 i tihnk Corvette, that PB tires actually did pretty well

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had futuras......worst tire that I ever had. They came with the car when I bought it so I couldn't complain but I think that they are worthless.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had the same tires bro. Rember to stay with 60 instead of 50 bro.

But to tell you the truth those tires are good. and you made a good choice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
mine are "roadhugger" 225/50r16, they were 450.00 with a road hazard,tread wear, free rotate warranty, which all lasts till the tread wears past a certain point.they work great.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have Pep Boys tires on all three of my cars and they are just fine; no problems. On my 95 LHS I have the previous top of the line Futura 70,000 mile tire and the ride and handling are very good and the noise is low. On my 92 Caravan I have the 80,000 mile tire and I'm very pleased with them. Really made the van ride and handle better. I have a cheap set of Futuras on my 91 Tempo, very open tread, somewhat noisy, but good in snow. Since good traction in the winter in Chicago was what I wanted, I'm happy with them. BTW, all these tires are made by Cooper Tire and there is an extended warranty by Cooper on them because of a class action suit. Depends when they were made. Saw a one page notice about this in Newsweek about a month ago.

FredB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts