DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just aquired a 99 Intrepid 2.7 with 205,000 miles. My father bought the car for me. The man he bought the car from said something about a lifetime fluid in the diff. and trans. Smell the dipstick and the car dissagrees. The fluid smells strange, burnt. Also, my power steering also smells and the pump has had a slight whine since i got the car at 202,000 miles. Changing the plugs fixed a slight skip at idle, but other than that the car runs great. Any ideas on the transmission fluid and power steering? The fluid in the pwr steering pump is red, so i guess it's ATF + 4 ? can i drain this and refill with Valvoline pwr steering fluid? This is my first car and I really wanna show my old man i know what i'm doing. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
yes you can drain and refill your power steering fluid, and i would change the trans fluid aswell as the differential.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will probobly do a pan drop so i can replace the filter too. I beleive it's 4.5 quarts atf-4 from the pan drop? Also, can someone tell me where the drain and fill plug is for the differential? I had a flat on the front the first day i had the car, and the donut tire made the diff. whine, so after about a mile or two i pulled over and put the donut on the back and that wheel on the front. The whine has stopped, but i am concerned about any possible damage. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just got back from Pep Boys. I was looking at the short ram tube intakes (about a foot and a half long) for a darn Honda civic. Am I crazy, but, it looks like if i use a different boot on the TB end, could i use it on the stock 2.7 Throttle Body if i remove everything before the TB?(Resonator, stock air box and tube). Took it outside and held it up under the hood of the trep and it looks like it will fit! Also, do i have to connect the valve cover breather tube to the intake or can i put a breather on it. I just don't wan't any WOT blowby getting into it anymore. Any thoughts? thanks

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Gangsta 2.7 said:
Also, can someone tell me where the drain and fill plug is for the differential?
right front passenger tire, it's pretty much right behind that. the drain plug is right below the fill cap.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'd suggest getting a flush done on the trans, not just a pan drop. You also need to make sure you get actual ATF+4, there are no "equivlent" fluids out there. I put synthetic in my diff, and it works fine, your call. I'd also do a oil change to Mobil 1 synthetic... some people think higher milage cars shouldn't switch to synthetic, but since you have a 2.7 I'd do it.

A civic intake will work, not sure of the part #, someone one here has one I'm sure. Or get one from JoeKD! (If he's still making them... :confused: )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it's silver

I think the silver ones are some of the coolest. I just helped my friend change is Mass air sensor on his ford taurus. Does our Trep's have a mass air sensor? I didn't see anything on the air intake tube. Thanks alot for the suggestions. I'll be doing the tranny and pwr steering fluid sometime this weekend after i get my check.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
umm..does anyone find it strange that a 2.7 has 205,000 miles on it?

thats a new record

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Not the best design...but if you take care of it and do not abuse it, it will last a long time.

--Gorm

·
Registered
795 Posts
well the sludge/rod thing is a fairly big problem as it involves catastrophic engine failure! Really though, since your car has so many miles, it must have been maintained very well. Just keep up good maintance and you could keep her going for some time yet (I'd still recommend mobil1 syn....ASAP)

There are a number of proud 2.7 owners on here with decent milage.... but I do think your the new winner!!! :biggringi

·
Registered
677 Posts
205.000 miles.... Holy hell!!!!!!

2.7 POWAH! :D

That's encouraging for the other 2.7 owners on the site, myself included.
Welcome to the site, by the way.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Imadreadhead said:
umm..does anyone find it strange that a 2.7 has 205,000 miles on it?

thats a new record
Ol boy from Baltimore with a 2.7 has an ungodly amount of miles on his trep too. Let me run a search....
Nevermind... jleilich has around 150,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
16,763 Posts
I've got 140k miles on mine - 80 miles a day daily driver - runs absolutely great! I fully expect to get 200+ out of it.

My advice on some of your questions:
• I agree with Mr. Diggler on a complete tranny fluid flush (rather than only a pan drop). But do drop the pan and replace the filter also. Get the metal/silicone sandwich pan gasket from the dealer (they'll probably have to order it - it will be a lot easier to work with than the RTV - especially the *next* time you drop the pan). P/N for metal pan gasket is 05011114AA (take that P/N with you to the dealer - they can't always keep up with the "special" parts). That gasket is re-useable
• On the power steering fluid - use ATF+4. It is not what your car came with in the power steering, but it is the recommended fluid for it now - it is an excellent fluid - I don't think you can do better.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Gangsta 2.7 said:
Yes, it's silver
You need to join the club bro, :smile:

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF THE SILVER TREPS OF DI.NET!!!

to get it, paste this line into your sig (without the stars):
[I*][B*]OFFICIAL MEMBER OF THE SILVER TREPS OF DI.NET!!![/B][/I]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thats Great!
I really appreciate all of the help guys, and thank you for pointing me in the way of the ATF+4 in the power steering unit. I looked in mine and it is red. Also the PN for the pan gasket! It was so easy to order it made me want to cry. I work at Carnette's lube and wash and we have the transmission flush machine, but i was told I would have the supply my own ATF+4 oil. That actually makes me feel alot better. Should we flush the machine with some transmission flush first as well? The only thing we always have in there is DexronIII and mercon V, and i wouldn't want to contaminate my fresh fluid. I was told the ratcheting noise while shifting are solenoid packs mounted externally on the transmission? Cool design, but it's seems like a complicated way to make a valvebody. Is there any special way to clean the valvebody or can i use the spray carb/brake cleaner on it? Thank you so much for all the help. What I thought was going to be a mileage nightmare has become somewhat fun. I'll keep posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got back from the job. The man I work with in the oil pit recomended running fifty wieght oil. He also mentioned something about a timing chain noise. I've seen the schematics of the engine and from what I've been reading on the forums here, I'll be investing in a new water pump, primary timing chain, and chain tensioners soon. Also I here a VERY SOFT tap from the lower end for like 2 seconds after I start car. Would it be alright to run 50 wieght oil in the 2.7? We have the full synthetic 50 at the shop.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts