DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,just bought a 1994 New Yorker with a 3.5 and I have to say for a car that big I am shocked/surprised at how fast it gets up to speed with so little throttle,it makes my 98 2.7 Concorde feel like a real pooch,so much so that I am going to start looking for a donar car with a 3.5.

I know that for the engine wiring to work I need 1998-2001 but I can also use an engine from 2002 - ???? as long as I grab the wiring for a 3.5 from an older model (1998-2001)?
I am going to try and buy an entire car thats been wrecked,am I better off staying 98-01 or does that really matter?

is there much of a market for a used 2.7 that smokes(probably needs valve seals) and has high miles(112,000) ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
2.7 = rod bearing spinning champion of the world

to answer your question, there is ZERO market for such motor, sorry. Your best bet is to disassemble it quickly and take the block/heads to a recycling center, they should give you money for the weight in aluminum

and you are correct about the wiring. I would just buy a pre-2002 donor car, this way you don't have to go wire harness shopping. an older car will be cheaper anyhow.

you're also going to have to find a solution for the ECU - the VIN on the new ECU will not match the VIN on the rest of the electronic systems of the vehicle and they will not play nicely.

Keep your transmission though, with the shorter gear ratio, you'll get improved acceleration over a standard 3.5 motor/transmission combination (see my mod list, that's 2.7 gears). However, my speedometer reads wrong, yours will still read right if you keep the 2.7 TCM. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well at 112,000 miles it can spin all the bearings it wants,it's lived long enough,that was more of an after thought to my real question.

·
Registered
467 Posts
good article

full turn-key conversion site

the site above wil give you everything you need for the 3.5HO supposedly to turn the key and go (76-100,000 mile motor) for $2250.00.

the biggest advantage I see to using them is they take care of the computer. I was considering sourcing out all the parts myself (mainly because my 3.2 has 282,000 miles and still runs strong, and all accessories are good so why pay to replace them?), and just asking them to do the computer.

But I also saw the Kenne Bell Optimizer II computer, and I will talk to him to see if he can swap the VINs for me before I go to those other guys (the KB is only 329, plus it's going to give me more hp, torque, and gas mileage, and he can make custom maps for adding intake/exhaust/cams/nitrous/blower/etc).

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,704 Posts
95PGTTech said:
2.7 = rod bearing spinning champion of the world

to answer your question, there is ZERO market for such motor, sorry. Your best bet is to disassemble it quickly and take the block/heads to a recycling center, they should give you money for the weight in aluminum

and you are correct about the wiring. I would just buy a pre-2002 donor car, this way you don't have to go wire harness shopping. an older car will be cheaper anyhow.

you're also going to have to find a solution for the ECU - the VIN on the new ECU will not match the VIN on the rest of the electronic systems of the vehicle and they will not play nicely.

Keep your transmission though, with the shorter gear ratio, you'll get improved acceleration over a standard 3.5 motor/transmission combination (see my mod list, that's 2.7 gears). However, my speedometer reads wrong, yours will still read right if you keep the 2.7 TCM. :)

There IS a market for these old 2.7s out there. I have had no problem selling them as complete pullouts for $150-$500 depending on their condition. There are several guys on ebay that buy these and rebuild them. You can also sell them to remanufacturers as cores like Jasper, Sequel, etc.

You dont have to worry about the computer. Definately keep the 2.7 engine and trans ecu. They will adapt and run the 3.2/3.5 flawlessly. Do not change them unless you encounter a problem-- out of 50 cars, I have had trouble with 2 ecms. Keeping your stock 2.7 ecu unless using a Ken Belle ecu or equivalent, keeps you from encountering problems with the car itself and engine.

As far as using a 2002 + engine in a 98-01, it is very possible. You need to change the wiring harness, 98-01 upper plenum (2002 can be modded easily, but the cost for the parts is high), left camshaft sprocket, add an EGR valve, and a flywheel. I recommend just finding a 98-01 engine, as its much more expensive to adapt a 2002+ to a 98-01.

·
Registered
467 Posts
32Intrepid said:
There IS a market for these old 2.7s out there. I have had no problem selling them as complete pullouts for $150-$500 depending on their condition. There are several guys on ebay that buy these and rebuild them. You can also sell them to remanufacturers as cores like Jasper, Sequel, etc.

You dont have to worry about the computer. Definately keep the 2.7 engine and trans ecu. They will adapt and run the 3.2/3.5 flawlessly. Do not change them unless you encounter a problem-- out of 50 cars, I have had trouble with 2 ecms. Keeping your stock 2.7 ecu unless using a Ken Belle ecu or equivalent, keeps you from encountering problems with the car itself and engine.

As far as using a 2002 + engine in a 98-01, it is very possible. You need to change the wiring harness, 98-01 upper plenum (2002 can be modded easily, but the cost for the parts is high), left camshaft sprocket, add an EGR valve, and a flywheel. I recommend just finding a 98-01 engine, as its much more expensive to adapt a 2002+ to a 98-01.
did not know there was that kind of demand for them. :)

but the ECM for a 2.7 and for a 3.2/3.5 are completely different in terms of fuel/ignition maps...
the 2.7 ECM will run a 3.2/3.5, but you won't get the power or fuel
economy that you should be getting.
a 3.2/3.5 ECM will not run a 3.2/3.5 motor in your previously 2.7 car
without changing the VINs in the computer. it will run, then shut off

which is why I wanted to do the KB on mine. Send my 3.2 computer into KB, tell them I have a 3.5 now (so they can start the base tune from the 3.5 map), and then tell them my mods based on the 3.5L. figured kill two birds with one stone for $329.00

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,704 Posts
95PGTTech said:
but the ECM for a 2.7 and for a 3.2/3.5 are completely different in terms of fuel/ignition maps...
the 2.7 ECM will run a 3.2/3.5, but you won't get the power or fuel
economy that you should be getting.
a 3.2/3.5 ECM will not run a 3.2/3.5 motor in your previously 2.7 car
without changing the VINs in the computer. it will run, then shut off

I get 25 MPG average on my swapped car, and 227HP just as the specs dictate. When comparing data from a factory 3.2/3.5 car to a 2.7 swapped to a 3.2/3.5, the trims, timing, etc is nearly identical. Out of the 50 or so swaps ive done, when we had the shop, ive never had any complaints about fuel mileage or lack of power. Ive had problems with 2 ecus, which I had to replace, whether it was due to the swap or already a problem, not sure.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm surprised to hear that, perhaps we have different opinions on the definitions of "nearly" identical. I find the cold start values for the HO motor to be of particular concern when running a 2.7 ECM.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,704 Posts
"nearly identical" to me means both vehicles showed similar values in all conditions, which were all within factory specs. A problem would have been something causing running problems or out of factory spec. Its hard to get exact data between two vehicles, swapped or not, unless maybe they are brand new. We used a 1999 Concorde, 70k miles, with a factory 3.2 and my car-- with a 2.7 ecu and rebuilt 3.2 swapped in, and a 2000 300M-- around 50k(?), with a 3.5 swapped Intrepid. :icon_cool

1 - 9 of 9 Posts