DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I had an error 11, I replaced the Cam Chaft Sensor and the error went away. Now I am getting an error 21, for an Oxegen sensor. Are the sensors just fading away (about 120,000 miles) never replaced by me anyway I have had the car since 74,000 miles. Do they just fail every so often or is something else going wrong?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 93 Eagle TSI with 153K. At around 120K-130K I had some error messages. The car would idle and accelerate fine, but at crusing, the rpms would oscillate (e.g. go from 2000 to 2100 and back to 2000 rpm every second or so.). It was caused by a bad oxygen sensor if I remember correctly.

·
9,861 Posts
Get an ODB-II scan done at autozone, and they will tell you which sensor is bad, out of your 4.

But oxygen sensors are hardly mission critical sensors. You can put off replacing it as long as you want. Gas mileage just might suffer some.

The two sensors are not related at all, but have a similar life span.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish the Engine Check would give you a more realistic answer as to what is wrong?

Here is a question I have. How expensive is an ODB-II Scanner, or more correctly, is there a way to decode the signal so I can make my own diagnostic screen. I'm pretty professent with programming and think I can program the LCD Screen, just need to know how to decode the signal.

·
9,861 Posts
You can get ODB-II cables and software for your laptop, but the cable alone (~$100) is usually more then a generic scanner. Generic scanners are getting pretty cheap.

Autozone will do a free scan though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts