DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I flew down on Saturday morning, from MN to Dallas, arriving at 9:30 AM, picked up the car and drove it straight back to MN arriving at 2:00 AM, with no problem.

The car was a dream to drive. Tracked straight down the road, got computer 26.3 MPG going mostly 72 to 78.

The Limited's interior and radio sound were terrific. (Mostly I listened to audio books which made the trip go by effortlessly. I could have driven back down to Tx just so I could finish the books I wanted to keep listening to! If no one has done that before you should give it a try. I can't believe this is the first time I thought of it in 54 years. It is so much safer not feeling like dozing off because your mind is alert on a story. I particularly enjoyed the true encounter of a plane crash and survival with primitive culture in New Guinea during WWII.)

Loved the car. I think this has the 3.5 HO, being it is the limited. When I finally punched the petal in MN it responded with so much more fun and acceleration than my 2.7 Concorde. I didn't push it earlier on the trip because I didn't want to get stranded if TB snapped. It is is nine years old and I don't believe it had been changed from the paper work that came with it. I will have it changed up here in MN.

The 2003 car had only 46K on it. It was a one owner car driven by a 91 year old woman. The good thing is she kept it in the garage in the Texas heat, so no sun fade, etc. The bad thing is she couldn't always get the car through the garage door! So it had scraped mirrors and some thin side scrapes which had been touched up. There are also some scuffs in the front and back bumpers as well. It also looked like she ran through some brown paint at some time. So this paint was dried on in a splash up from the drivers wheel to the driver door.

I spent some elbow grease on it today, and I think it turned out very nice. Got most of the splashed paint off by rubbing in car wax and using a razor blade with some work. A guy was supposed to show up to buff the car and detail it which would have been much nicer, but he never showed or responded to emails. So I hand waxed, etc, and used Leather cleaner and a tooth brush on the tan driver interior. The seat still has cracks, of course, but they don't show nearly as bad when they are cleaned up!

Daughter was delighted with the car. It was a surprise and exactly what she was looking for, a black Concorde, tan leather with sun roof, and heated memory seats. We had been test driving cars for sale up here but they always had many more miles and were in rougher shape overall. She told me earlier she would rather have lower miles than the features, color, or appearance if necessary because she would rather have less risk of costly repairs.

The car has some scars from the painted scrapes, and the smudges, but 98% of it shines up nicely. I was checking today into repainting the whole thing, but unless I went with a fairly expensive paint job, I am thinking it could cause more harm than good, particularly down the road.

This car is for my 19 year old daughter. She liked our 2.7L Concorde Lx and she wanted a larger size like it, but still practical, and not cost a bunch. Finding this luxury model of the Concorde with the better 3.5L and only 46K for $5200 I am hoping will work out well for her over the next few years without major expenses such as Transm or Engine (both of which I am going to have serviced). I am thinking that by paying perhaps $1200 more than say $4K for a similar car with 100K+ miles is a better deal.

I wish this 46K mile car had a pristine exterior, but then I guess it would have sold for a bunch more. If I were keeping it for myself I could see perhaps putting a $800 paint job into it if it bugged me enough. My daughter on the other hand will likely being adding her own scrapes to the mix, so they may as well stay! My 2.7 Lx is going to my son, so I may just be on the lookout for one for myself as well. The Limited would soot me just fine.

Here are pics. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
Congratulations on the great find for your daughter! Concorde FTW!!

Maybe have a couple of good body shops give you a price for professional touching up/blending of the problem areas. But - yeah - if it's a lot of small areas all around, pretty soon you're talking a whole repaint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments. The 2004 Lx in the background with 94K has much less of these scrape and smudge issues, so I would have hoped for a bit better shape on the limited with now 48K. I guess my father-in-law who I got the Lx from had much less problems finding the garage door/walls! Overall this Limited does look much better with the Chrome, leather, etc.

I should have taken some pictures before cleaning it up. The dried on splashed on paint from the driver front wheel was terrible. Interesting enough, the passenger mirror was very bad, nearly 3/4 white from whatever it ran into, and it cleaned up with nary a scratch, but the driver's side mirror which was no where near as noticeable, is now the bad one that didn't improve much at all. Just deeper/different scratches, I guess.

Glad my daughter didn't see it before, she would have had much less appreciation!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the difference between a 2003 Concorde and a 2003 LHS? They look EXACTLY the same to me. *_*
I don't think there was a 2003 LHS, according to the wiki. It looks like LHS ended in 2001 and the 2002+ Concorde's picked up the LHS body.

2002: Adopting the body of the discontinued Chrysler LHS, a new trim level was added, the range-topping Limited for 2002, which featured 17-inch wheels and a "high output" 3.5L V6 engine with 250 horsepower (190 kW). With the former LHS's shorter nose, the 2002-2004 Concorde was 1.4 in (36 mm) shorter than 1998-2001 models.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I don't think there was a 2003 LHS, according to the wiki. It looks like LHS ended in 2001 and the 2002+ Concorde's picked up the LHS body.

2002: Adopting the body of the discontinued Chrysler LHS, a new trim level was added, the range-topping Limited for 2002, which featured 17-inch wheels and a "high output" 3.5L V6 engine with 250 horsepower (190 kW). With the former LHS's shorter nose, the 2002-2004 Concorde was 1.4 in (36 mm) shorter than 1998-2001 models.
Aha! .. ok NOW it makes perfect sense!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice car did you get a good price?

I think so at $5200 because of the low miles. I have seen a very few Limited's or 300M's advertised at about $4K but they all came with 100K+ miles.

Other model's wouldn't have worked as well. I really wanted memory seats because daughter is short and fiance is tall. I know it is a real pain,actually impossible, to get into a car after she has driven it, and I know when in a rush people don't always adjust the seats like they should. I already had a car get in an accident because one son was adjusting the seats at a stop sign from shorter son driving it previously.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sweet find, FLYINGBOAT! I have an identical '02 Limited, but mine has 130K. Out of curiousity.... I just moved to MN from ND. What are the laws on window tint here? I don't have any, but yours looks awesome with it. So, if it is legal, I might have to consider.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
I've been pulled over once driving a brother-in-law's car with tint... it was dark tint, and the officer basically said "no tint" - but it wasn't my car, and the brother-in-law came up and got involved and I just waited. ha!

I have the feeling it is pretty strict.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yup, funny you should ask about the tint. I was just reading up about it and I see it is 50% in MN. I need to check the window to see how much is on this car. I have been reading that you can get an Rx from doctor or optometrist to allow you to have the tint. It needs to state what level of tint and needs to be renewed every two years. I am going to see if my daughter can get the Rx if the window is tinted too much. I think it likely the tint is not legal and it has me concerned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet find, FLYINGBOAT! I have an identical '02 Limited, but mine has 130K. Out of curiousity.... I just moved to MN from ND. What are the laws on window tint here? I don't have any, but yours looks awesome with it. So, if it is legal, I might have to consider.
Just checked. The windows are tinted to allow 35% of light. MN is 50% so mine are not legal :glum: . Daughter may look into getting the Rx exemption so she doesn't need to pay to have the tint removed/replaced with 50%. She will probably just try to get by and hope for just a fixit tickit if she is pulled over the first time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts