DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
No matter what, even if he does beat you, your car still looks a thousand times better. Maxx's are soo ugly.

-Brandon

·
Registered
646 Posts
As much as I adore Chevrolet, the Malibu Maxx is very quick, but not quick enough to take your Intrepid if you have the 255HP engine.

·
Registered
715 Posts
isnt the only Trep with 255hp, the 3.5HO? from the police and the R/T's?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Spinnaker said:
Now i'm just confused. :p
Yea, too many ****ing engines with similar numbers and crap. How do you get .2 more liters of an engine, and get like 50 more horsepower? I dont understand it.... Or the .1 less 3.2 has 65 more horsepower then the 1st gen 3.3. I understand technology changes and everything, but thats just crazy. From 1997 (3.3L 161 horse) to 1998 (2.7L 200 horse) the technology couldn't have changed that much... Or was the car's technology just not updated along the years?

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
3.2Liter SOHC ALUMINUM BLOCK = 225 HORSEPOWER 225LB FT OF TORQUE.

2.7Liter DOHC (Not sure I think Aluminum block) = 200 HORSEPOWER 190 LB FT OF TORQUE

3.5Liter SOHC ALUMINUM BLOCK = 250 HORSEPOWER 255 LB FT OF TORQUE

3.3Liter OHV IRON BLOCK = 170 HORSEPOWER 180 LB FT OF TORQUE

3.5Liter SOHC IRON BLOCK = 215 HORSEPOWER 220 LB FT OF TORQUE

These are just rough figures for hp and torque but in bold and underlined are the main reasons why the different engines make the horsepower figures that they do.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
God damn.. didnt know my ****in car had an iron block. :( 'OHV' :(

-Brandon
Haha yeah. Chrysler was accually upset according to allpar that the 3.3 was used in this LH line. They wanted the 3.5 24V and a lower 24V to go along with the 3.5, but when they didnt make the new engine and carried over the 3.3 12v they tried to turbo it stock but the internals broke down. So they made the new intake for a boost of tq. and hp. and made it the base engine.

the 2.7 was the replacement of the 3.3, THE NEW engine chrysler wanted for the 1st gens was brought into the second gens. I said before if the 3.3 was a 24v engine instead of 12 it would be even better.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Peppa Boy said:
I said before if the 3.3 was a 24v engine instead of 12 it would be even better.
Yea.. I wanna hack it. My dad and I actually made plans of everything we would need to do to put a Hemi in an intrepid. Next time we get a spare $50,000 we might just do it. Tube chassis, rails across the bottom of the car, everything custom. Make it rear wheel drive and all. Not too hard of a job, but a lot of work. Intrepid = a very nice "sleeper" car. We figure the engine bay has soo much room, that with only minor customizations we could fit a Hemi in there.

-Brandon

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
popimp said:
3.2Liter SOHC ALUMINUM BLOCK = 225 HORSEPOWER 225LB FT OF TORQUE.

2.7Liter DOHC (Not sure I think Aluminum block) = 200 HORSEPOWER 190 LB FT OF TORQUE

3.5Liter SOHC ALUMINUM BLOCK = 250 HORSEPOWER 255 LB FT OF TORQUE

3.3Liter OHV IRON BLOCK = 170 HORSEPOWER 180 LB FT OF TORQUE

3.5Liter SOHC IRON BLOCK = 215 HORSEPOWER 220 LB FT OF TORQUE

These are just rough figures for hp and torque but in bold and underlined are the main reasons why the different engines make the horsepower figures that they do.
The material of the block has nothing to do with it. For example, there are 2 3.5L's in 2nd generation cars, one being an HO and the other not, same block material, same valvetrain, but different HP.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Peppa Boy said:
Haha yeah. Chrysler was accually upset according to allpar that the 3.3 was used in this LH line. They wanted the 3.5 24V and a lower 24V to go along with the 3.5, but when they didnt make the new engine and carried over the 3.3 12v they tried to turbo it stock but the internals broke down. So they made the new intake for a boost of tq. and hp. and made it the base engine.

the 2.7 was the replacement of the 3.3, THE NEW engine chrysler wanted for the 1st gens was brought into the second gens. I said before if the 3.3 was a 24v engine instead of 12 it would be even better.
I think you've confused some things when reading through. 1st being that the 3.3 was going to be in the LH cars regardless, and yes Chrysler was looking for a new "modern" engine, which is how the 3.5 came to be, Chrysler was not upset about the 3.3L being in the LH line, and the turbo 3.3/3.8 engines were for the Dynasty line, long before the LH cars.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
Yea.. I wanna hack it. My dad and I actually made plans of everything we would need to do to put a Hemi in an intrepid. Next time we get a spare $50,000 we might just do it. Tube chassis, rails across the bottom of the car, everything custom. Make it rear wheel drive and all. Not too hard of a job, but a lot of work. Intrepid = a very nice "sleeper" car. We figure the engine bay has soo much room, that with only minor customizations we could fit a Hemi in there.

-Brandon
Alot of room in the engine bay....

There's hardly any room in there at all, hell I have fond memories of burning myself trying to reach for the transmission dipstick. Remember the hood slopes downword, hence the reason for low-lying intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
Alot of room in the engine bay....

There's hardly any room in there at all, hell I have fond memories of burning myself trying to reach for the transmission dipstick. Remember the hood slopes downword, hence the reason for low-lying intake manifold.

I have a first gen 3.3. And there is about a foot of empty space on either side of it, so yea, a lot of room. Plus, once you get all the AC garbage outta there, and all the other accessory ****, theres even more room...

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
The material of the block has nothing to do with it. For example, there are 2 3.5L's in 2nd generation cars, one being an HO and the other not, same block material, same valvetrain, but different HP.
Yea not really except the aluminum is lighter hence easier for mechanical stuff in the engine to move making more power, or at least making the car lighter.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
I have a first gen 3.3. And there is about a foot of empty space on either side of it, so yea, a lot of room. Plus, once you get all the AC garbage outta there, and all the other accessory ****, theres even more room...

-Brandon
Thats with the smaller engine, the more motor, less room. Hence the reason why I posted the picture of a 3.5 to show how much room there actually is with more motor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts