DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a question...

My 95 has the 3.3, I took apart the tubing that connects the engine block to the filter, and even took off the accordian tube.. But the cone is permanently attached, is that why you broke yours, or do some engines have it as a separate piece?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3.3 FOLLOW-UP

I did some research on how this part of the 3.3 engine works, and found out that since the 3.5 is bigger, and needs more air, all it has from the filter to the engine block is one long accordian tube. With the 3.3, there is a large oval-shaped hard plastic air chamber, and also a rubber hose coming out of it to the engine block as well. The air restrictor is in this plastic part itself, and is also permanently in there (a part of the hard plastic). Im not sure if the person who wrote the How-To for the 3.5 actually broke it off, or if the air restrictor in the 3.5 is just a loose piece, but like I said, in the 3.3 the AR is a part of the chamber.
Buy another chamber from a junkyard (cost me $5), and grab the following tools:
-Flathead screwdriver (to release the plastic clamps)
-Small hacksaw (small enough to get into chamber to saw off air restrictor)
-Wood file (to smooth-out cut edges)

Now, when you detach the chamber from the air filter and engine block, use the screwdriver to release the plastic clamps. Once off, use the screwdriver to release the metal clamp on the rubber accordian tube (is difficult, may have to bend pieces of the clamp that hold it in place, you'll see what I mean when you see the clamp), and take the accordian tube off. Once that's off, the air restrictor should be right in your face, on the accordian tube's side. Now, use the small hacksaw to cut the three pieces of plastic that hold the air restrictor in place. Use the file to sand down any rough edges. Now, use a hose to wash out any possible debris you may have placed in the chamber, you don't want that in your engine at all. Once dry, you can replace the tube, metal clamp, and use the plastic clamps to put it back on the engine. Now you should hear a difference in sound, a lower growl and perhaps more power (I did).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Any advice on getting the metal clamps back on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i was wondering if you could just get an accordian tube from a 3.5 from a junkyard or something and use it rather than all the work of cutting and stuff on a 3.3. it sounds like it would be easier to do if it would work.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a 3.3L 95. I just took a needle nose and snapped off the restrictor. Took some sand paper and smoothed the areas inside the tube and rinsed with water. Let dry well before putting back on. The metal clamps are a pain in the a$$. Went to local hardware store and got stainless steel hose clamps . Works fine. The K&N is well worth it.

-Karl

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Does anyone have access to a dragstrip or Gtech to verify if the restrictor is actually hampering the performance.
This is also a popular mod on a 5.0 Mustang and it was verified that removal of the silencer actually made less power.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 3.3L 95. I just took a needle nose and snapped off the restrictor. Took some sand paper and smoothed the areas inside the tube and rinsed with water. Let dry well before putting back on. The metal clamps are a pain in the a$$. Went to local hardware store and got stainless steel hose clamps . Works fine. The K&N is well worth it.

you dont even need to sand just break the dam thing off and thats it
i just broke it off with needle nose pliers by twisting on the 3 spokes one by one till it came free then dumped all the scraps of plastic out and i was done

·
Registered
685 Posts
wow...I know im the new guy here but every forum I go into there's people who say they did a mod and it helped power, sound, or whatever and then theres jgs ram with his comment on less power. Did anyone actually discover an increase in performance after taking out the AR. Im interseted in doing the mod myself but "breaking off" pieces of my new car just doesnt seem right

·
Registered
163 Posts
JoeKD, is it safe to assume that a 2002 ES doesn't have a restrictor either?

·
Registered
8 Posts
better filter

I went out and bought a high flow filter from Amsoil.... prety much the same design as the k&n but they dont charge extra for the foam part.... i will look at the AR mod this weekend... i guess this mod is for after 97 even though under first generation OR i got redirected to another part of the site :crazy: i have a 97 intrepid sport that i am slowly trying to trick out.... you gotta love a car that will smoke the hot rodded hondas "STOCK"

Patrick "the newbie"

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok i'm new to these boards and i just have 1 question bout this topic. I have a 97 3.5 (not es), so i have an AR on mine that i can just take out like first person said? I dont have to go saw it off like on the 3.3. And does this really improve performance?

oh ya and will this hurt my mpg too?

·
Registered
210 Posts
To answer SPIntrepid95's question about whether the 3.5 has separate plastic piece for the AR.... Yes, it just snaps in. If you take the hose out and force the AR out from the engine end with a screwdriver, it will just pop out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
thank you much! i took out the air restricter today and yes i have a k&n air filter and it gave me noticeable difference in my acceleration and sounds much better as you said. it wasnt too easy at first squiching the tubing vertical so i did that again and stuck a stake in the flared part of the AR and it came out easily and not broken

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Hey all, I'd been reading about this restrictor thingy for quite a while and decided to take it out today. It took about an hour total including pulling my car into the garage, taking it apart, putting it back together, and a 10min test drive.

I have the 3.3L and here's how I did it... I undid the two plastic hose clamps and the three screws that hold down the filter lid. I had to take the lid off to get the intake tube off but that wasn't too hard. I unplugged the hose that connects to the intake tube and pulled the tube off. All I had to do was bend the three tabs that hold the restrictor in place back and forth a few times with needle nosed pliars until they broke, WARNING DO NOT LOOSE THE TABS!! if you do, FIND them! You wouldn't want those things to be ingested by your engine, would you? Now the hardest part...just pull the restrictor out! Reinstall the intake parts in the reverse order and your on your way!

Results: Not much. I have straight pipes on my car so that pretty much over powered any noticeable difference in sound. Most of the test drive was with the windows down and no difference in sound but under hard acceleration with the windows up, there is a bit more engine noise especially on the pass side, sounds kind of like rushing air(gee I wonder why?;)) I didn't notice any difference in performance, once again I concluded that the straight pipes overrided any difference.
HTH.

·
Registered
603 Posts
in the first thread, it says "Drop
it right in the box and make sure it sits the same way the old one
did." ummm...lets just say my friend took his out but doesn't know if he put it...well, it wasn't my friend it was me, i would like ti know which ways the ridges of the filter should face, accross or top to bottom?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I removed the air restrictor from my car and can notice the difference in sound. Its a deeper growl when on the gas and then when shifting sounds more like a turbo noise. As far a performance tho im not sure if it helps at all might get better gas milage or something but we'll have to see

1 - 20 of 46 Posts