DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for continually asking newbie questions, but I'm just a 16 year old kid and my brain needs knowledge :) Anyways, I went down to Autozone today and they are sold out of the cone airfilters made by K&N. Even the warehouse for the Tampa Bay area was sold out. So I went down to Napa, and their book didn't even carry them, but he told me I neewas 57 bucks, but what am I getting into total pricewise with the metal tube going to the engine? I don't feel like driving to a speed shop in downtown and them telling me its going to be 300 bucks. If thats the case, I'll save some more money.d to replace the accordian air hose. Is this true? I notice the air filter itself

Thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As a newbie, :) I'll field this one.
What year intrepid ya got star? I just grabbed one from Autozone, and yep it was 54 bucks!! However, its a lifetime filter for sure, ya just wash it and oil it once in a blue moon. Ohh, you were planning on doing some of that cool new mod's with the cone filter :eek: I bet that really kicks, but i was wondering about temperature. Instead I used the K&N designed for the stock box. And then drilled out four 1 1/4" holes and five 7/8" holes in the bottom of the box. Awsome difference!!. It sounds like a four barrel holly when ya kick it down. :cool: I'm sure my system is drawing warmer air also, but more warm air is better than little cool.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 1993 3.5L ES. Do you have a digital camera or some means of taking a pic of your engine? I would like to see how you added the K&N Cone filter without the metal pipe and still used the stock accordion hose.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you can take the airbox off and then just clamp the cone filter into the accordian tube. you might have to rig a mount for it but it shouldn't be that hard.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You could possibly check out OBR's pic page.
He ( and I ) used some cheap plastic pcv pipe and attached to the acordian hose. I then had a baffle plate (?) attached to the front rail to block warm air from the filter and instead draw from below the computer.
Hope it helps... :cool:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm working on supplying pics with my posts. Could anyone tell me how to set that up? I used a K&N filter for a 96 intrepid. It's not cone but actually the same size as the box. It fits better than the stock filter too cause you don't have to push so hard to close the lid. I would be willing to send you one if ya want. My local autoparts has several.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts