DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, thanks to other members I contacted K&N about their aircharger kits p/n #63-1029 + 63-1030 and can now cofidently say DO NOT BUY THEM!!!!

the K&N kit does not replace the 45 degree bend to the throttle body

this is the most restrictive peice of the whole intake and without replacing it your performance gains will be minimal if at all

these are the instalation instructions I received from K+N, they are blurry because they were faxed but if you look at the bottom image in the middle column it clearly shows the OEM throttle body bend being reused

here is the image saved as JPG (blurry)

K&N installation instructions (JPG)

and here is the original fax saved as a TIFF file (better but not everyone will be able to use this type of file) K&N installation instructions (TIF)

if anyone would like me to forward the fax to them just send your fax number to me [email protected]

when calling K&N ask the specific question "is the Throttle body connector reused" this is the only way they will give you a true answer

so, what have you learned Dorothy?? L_Intake is still the best bang for the buck!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
If JoeKD read those intructions right, then he is right. The K&N kit will only make your car SOUND cool, not much else if it doesn't replace that bend into the throttle body.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
However, this news is a little disturbing that K&N would put their name on a product like this and charge so much!

To me, it says that they saw a market in the Intrepid emerging, and instead of investing in a lot of R&D to get out a great product, they rushed a half-assed product to market to make a quick buck, hoping that none of us would know any better...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
glad the 1st gen stock intake isn't a restrictive POS like the 2nd gen. :)

thanks for doing the research, joekd...hope this will sway some people to do the do-it-yourself way and make that L_intake.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I know the guy who designed the AIR CHARGER for the 2nd Gen. Wait until he hears from me! Hold on folks! This isn't over yet! :mad:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm gonna kill someone............ bloody intake got my hopes up....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just one more thing........ i'm wondering if the pictures in the instructions are just reused from the instruction to the 2.7L install. I mean why would K&N make take two different photos of the engine area. It is plain to see that there may be a chance that there really is a Intake for these Interpids that are worth it........ Hopefully, MoparPerformance can settle this one and check if his pictures on his instruction are the same as the ones you have enclosed in your post...... one last chance.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by LHSer:
Boy....that news is gonna piss off a certain member of this board. :)
That's what I was thinking right when I saw the title of this thread. :p

·
Registered
602 Posts
Nothing to be angry about but I don't necessarily think that there's call to say it's not a good idea and scare the shhht out of everyone. Let people try it, they don't like it they should send it back.

Yes the small rubber PCV Tube remains, it has to I believe because it has a sensor.

The "L" shaped plastic box that connects to the PCV Tube is eliminated.

It does make a slight high end acceleration difference. I can drive 25 more miles per tank of fuel and my car sounds raw.

I stongly believe the K&N Intake kit is better than an "L" intake because it is not pulling the air upward through a filter in the box.

The K&N kit also comes with a heatshield to limit the intake from pulling in hot air from the engine. The K&N Intake filter is huge and seems like it would work a lot better than the drop in filter.

Pretty soon I'll get some dyno results so we can actually see how good it is but I'm happy with mine in my 2.7L.

So far my ass dyno feels like it's puttin' out a little more torque. Feels like there's around a 15-20HP increase. I'll post actual dyno results and let everyone know what the increase really is.

Later guys.....

[ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Registered
299 Posts
15-20 HP? haha

thats hilarious, my guess would be no more then 5 HP.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by MoparPerformance:
The "L" shaped plastic box that connects to the PCV Tube is eliminated.

I stongly believe the K&N Intake kit is better than an "L" intake because it is not pulling the air upward through a filter in the box.

The K&N kit also comes with a heatshield to limit the intake from pulling in hot air from the engine. The K&N Intake filter is huge and seems like it would work a lot better than the drop in filter.

The PVC connector is not the one in question, we are referring to the 45 degree bend that connects to the throttle body. In your K&N instructions it is step 13 where it says place the #66 hose clamp (supplied) ont he throttle body hose and reinstall it onto the throttle body

this is the most restrictive piece of the whole intake, if this is not replaced your power gains are minimal. In other words a lot of noise but little actual power gains

as for the gains given by the cone filter/heat shield combo, Lister tested the stage 2 L_Intake which had that exact same setup and there was no power gain

if the info I got directly from K&N is incorrect, my apologies to all. the installation instructions are K&N part #172007 (2.7) and #172008 (3/5) as shown in the lower right hand corner of K&N's documents

·
Registered
602 Posts
There's nothing to laugh at......

K&N claims 27HP increase........ K&N claims this was through dyno testing. Not that I believe that it will give you that much more HP.

Mopar claims that its intake kits for Jeeps, Durango's and RAM's 25-36HP increases at the rear wheels. Mopar claims this was though dyno testing.

I know these are probably far stretches but 15-20HP should be reasonable also being that it can pull in more air than the "L" intake kit which has been dynoed to get about an 18HP increase.

People do dyno there cars as I am about to when I get some time. If i'm not getting at least a 12HP increase I'm going to litterly throw the damn thing at K&N's headquarters.

Again I think it's reasonable to believe I am getting somwhere around there.

Joekd.... There is a major misunderstanding on your behalf! That part was removed!

OK??? If it was proven that there was no performance increase over the "L" intake vs. K&N Intake Kit then that's cool. The "L" intake on a 2.7L was dynoed at a 18HP increase, that's right around what I have been thinking I am getting. If that's true then it would just be a matter of preference.

Take care guys!

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know these are probably far stretches but 15-20HP should be reasonable also being that it can pull in more air than the "L" intake kit which has been dynoed to get about an 18HP increase
again, there is no way you are pulling more air than an L_Intake, I don't know where you are getting your info that the K&N is superior to the L_Intake but it is incorrect

·
Registered
602 Posts
Keyword "Seems", I'm not getting any info from anywhere....

Being that the K&N kit does not pull air upward inside a plastic box through a filter would just seem to be better to me.

If you saw the intake kit in person and saw it's filter in person vs. the "L" intake kit, you'd know what I'm talking about.

That's my opinion, that's all.

Again, that's cool if there's no performance gain. The "L" intake kit was dyno'd at an 18HP incrase for the 2.7L. That's not a long shot at all from what I have thought I am getting with the K&N Intake. Then it would become a matter of preference.

Again that "L" shaped plastic box that connects to the Holley is removed. The tube from the engine will then connect to the K&N Intake instead. Yes, the throttlebody air sensor tube is reused but NOT the actual box with the bend. I myself also at first thought that it remained after reading the directions but it does not. I see where that could be assumed. If K&N told you this then they misunderstood you.

Now that you scared the shhht out of everyone and got everyone pist at me......

Take care, later

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
I know these are probably far stretches but 15-20HP should be reasonable also being that it can pull in more air than the "L" intake kit which has been dynoed to get about an 18HP increase.
Who cares if the K&N can "pull" more in than the L_Intake with the OEM box (which could always be replaced by a conic filter if someone really wanted to.), what really matters is: Can the engine use all that extra air that is being pulled in!!

According to GR8WHT, when he built an L_Intake with a K&N Conic filter w/ heatsheild, there were NO gains over using the OEM box.

Here are his exact words:

As a lot of you know I was working on a an new version of the L_Intake (Stage 2) that would have used a Cone K&N Filter and heatshield, replacing the Stock Airbox setup that is now offered.
Well after fabricating one, complete with the shield and doing some test runs, this is what happened.

There is no gain to be had over using the Stage 1 intake. It seems the Stage 1 gives the 3.2/3.5L engine all the air it could want. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times did not change at all with the Stage 2 Intake. Cost is also a big issue if it had been worth it, but at over $300 it would not be cost effective.
So why pay the extra money for the K&N (even if it does connect to the TB) when the engine has all the air it could want with the cheaper L_Intake?

This is just my opinion, so don't get pissed at me...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Dude, screw that attitude. Opinion and preference are two very important keywords here. I never said anyone else had to think the same way.

Everyone wants to prove me wrong that the K&N Intake kit is F$%#'d and the "L" intake is better or something.

Did Joekd do this to try to make me look like and ass or did he do it because he was interested in purchasing one.

Fine, no HP increase over the "L" intake.....???? I never said this was not the case. The K&N looked as if it could perform better over the "L" intake. I never said anything for sure.

What the hell is the problem!

Excuse me but not everyone has time to go around making "L" intake kits.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts