DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

New member here. As the title says the K&N mod is causing my engine light to come on (2001 300M). Called them and they told me to leave the Neg battery cable disconnected for 24 hrs. The computer was still "seeing" the old setup. I did that, it was okay for a few days, now the light is back on again, There was no light before the cold air modification. Any help/thoughts with this one? Thanks

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Check the codes and then let us know what you get. Just cycle the key to the on position 3 times (don't turn the car on). In the readout where the odometer usually displays, your codes will each display for a matter of about 3 seconds each. When the last code has displayed, it will read "done". The MIL is on because there is a code that is stored. The code will narrow down the problem. The intake shouldn't cause any problems. You may have disturbed a sensor or something by mistake when installing it.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Being that it just happened after replacing the intake I'm thinking its not a gas cap problem. I would check all the hoses in the area of the intake. There is one hose below the intake tube that will give the evap code. I bet you either cracked it or knocked it off while working in the area. Take a look. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spent half the morning wiggling, pushing and checking the hoses/plastic hoses in and around the area, and near the throttle body everything seems to be in it's place. Didn't notice any cracks or tears. Going to leave the Neg. battery cable off till tomorrow, replaced gas cap with another I had. We will see....thanks for your help and suggestions. Thanks also for that engine code link!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took only two days for engine light to come back on. Same codes....is there any way to check the rubber hoses for leaks? Perhaps water and a small brush? Also where the rubber hoses attach to plastic ones and the go into the side of the engine, can I remove those plastic hoses/fitings to check for cracks. Lastly, is there any way to remove those codes from the puter? Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is this a K&N cone filter or a drop-in flat panel filter?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Victor said:
Took only two days for engine light to come back on. Same codes....is there any way to check the rubber hoses for leaks? Perhaps water and a small brush? Also where the rubber hoses attach to plastic ones and the go into the side of the engine, can I remove those plastic hoses/fitings to check for cracks. Lastly, is there any way to remove those codes from the puter? Thanks
Disconnecting the battery is removing the codes. If the light is off for a few days and then comes back on, that means your codes were clear and when it comes back on a problem is being reported to the computer again, so the problem obvioulsy isn't fixed. I remember seeing that someone got the code you got and found that one of the hoses below the intake was leaking. Do a search for your codes and you should find the thread. Then I would ask him exactly which hose it was.

EDIT:Here is the thread I'm referencing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wuzzer, it's the cone filter. Guess I'm gonna spend some time looking for broken or cracked hoses this weekend....man that 300M sure looks nice in red! Thanks for the help.

Victor

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is there an air temperature sensor that was in the airbox?
I know the cars are completely different, but many people on the Taurus forum have had similar problems when using a K&N cone filter.
What people have done to fix the problem is to zip-tie the air sensor to the filter so its getting a correct reading of the temperature of the air entering the cone/intake.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
wuzzzer said:
Is there an air temperature sensor that was in the airbox?
I know the cars are completely different, but many people on the Taurus forum have had similar problems when using a K&N cone filter.
What people have done to fix the problem is to zip-tie the air sensor to the filter so its getting a correct reading of the temperature of the air entering the cone/intake.
No, thats not applicable to the LHs. There are no sensors anywhere in the air intake system until you get to the inlet of the throttle body. The codes he is getting are applicable to the EVAP system which shouldn't be affected in anyway by the intake. Since his gas cap is good, the only possible other cause would be a leaking EVAP hose somewhere, and there are some in the vicinity of the intake. IMO, the only thing that makes sense as that he disturbed one of these while removing the airbox.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,762 Posts
P0442-EVAP System Medium Leak
P0456-EVAP System Small Leak

In both cases the Powertrain Diagnostics Procedures manual indicates you should look for any broken/cracked/loose hoses. The other item is the EVAP Purge Solenoid which is right in front of and below the stock front airbox. And the gas cap seal. I agree that you got a hose that's knocked off or split. Also check the wiring and connector to the EVAP Purge Solenoid and make sure you didn't knock it off somehow. I've got a K&N FIPK on my R/T and never had problems after installing it 4 months ago. Check all the hoses in the area you were working very carefully. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all the suggestions.....great help here. I have'nt had the time to do much of anything with the car. I'll definately give everything a try....I'll keep you informed. :bowdown:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts