DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this issue of Mopar Now. Kenne Bell has a ad for a computer upgrades for 300Ms and Intrepids. Features up to 25hp, more torque at any rpm. You send in your comuter and they up grade it and send it back over night. $349 bucks including the overnight shipping. They guarantee the performance up grade.I am going to give them a call Monday and see what the deal is. I know the junk that Jet sells. Doesnt work but what i have heard good things about Kenne Bell.Has any body else heard any thing about the Optimizer upgrade?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd be interested, but giving my computer up for 3-6 days sure isn't a good idea!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called today they said it would be out in 10 months for the 2000 cars.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hey, dont know how old this thread is ( just searched kenne bell) but here is the ltest up date. I emailed them less than a week ago and got htis response when asking them about my 2003 and getting the Optimizer :

Hi Scott.

Thanks for your inquiry about the Optimizer II. The new computer from Dodge is not going to be easy (they like it that way). To make matters worse, they have created 3 new computers, all with vastly different code. We have already spent a year trying to break the code of the Hemi computer and we're not there yet.

Realistically, it will be about another 6 months before we could even get to other vehicles. We wish it could be sooner, but Dodge will never offer any help to anyone who alters their OEM code.

Regards,

Tech Dept.

Sux to be us with 2000+ vehicles wanting the optimizer II. 6 months until they can even start working on the newer comps and then even longer after that to get everthing working good I'd guess. Someday !!

·
Registered
339 Posts
YEah I know....

I really wanted this upgrade until I found out that 2002 was the year for the new computer.

IT would be nice if they started with the 2002 years since all the computers were the same. It wasn't until 2003 that they made different modules for all the engines

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
03SXTgangsta said:
Sux to be us with 2000+ vehicles wanting the optimizer II. 6 months until they can even start working on the newer comps and then even longer after that to get everthing working good I'd guess. Someday !!
I wish they would list what exact vehicles it is available for. The dyno charts list the 3.5L engine, but the order form doesn't list the 3.5L engine.

I guess if I do decide to get this I will have to email them. Also, on the order form, you can choose a new rev limiter point and a new speed limiter point, but you must sign some kind of waiver. I wonder, since the R/T doesn't come with a speed limiter stock, if I filled in "STOCK" on the order form it still wouldn't have a speed limiter. Hmmmm...guess that'll be another question I'd have to ask them.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I know for a fact that the Optimizer II is available for 2000 Treps. Bagged Intrepid has one, and a guy on Car Domain with an R/T has one.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Yeah I didn't think the computer change happened until the 2002 model year when they started combining modules? Which would mean it should work in LH models through 2001...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Called

I Called them over a year ago about this, the 25 hp gains are NOT for the LH cars, the best you will see is maybe 4-10 hp gain MAX

Not worth it, only good part is it would get rid of the speed limiter on non R/T cars.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
They DYNO results Bagged Intrepid got were an additional 10 hp at the front wheels with his 2.7L.

In addition to removing the speed limiter, it improves shifting dramatically, and gives better power at take off. So I would say its very well worth it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree...I'd get it, and still plan to get it if they could work on my 2003 computer. Well Worth It....especially because of my 108mph speed limiter. Also because of my intake and low-restriction exhaust it'd be nice to have the computer programed to incorporate my new performance products.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Shifting?

Well , explain how changing the program in the Engine controller would have anything to do with shifting. That is 100% controlled by the TCM (transmission control module)(seperate software). The only part the ECM plays in shifting is retarding the timing at each shift to reduce driveline stress which is overridden in 2000 R/T's when using autostick.

Im not getting into a war here, Im just quoting Kenny Belle directly over the phone. The ECM mode would have little advantage on 300M's or R/T's because they are already optomized from the factory. Lesser LH's will notice some gains.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
well , then I guess you answered your own question.

But I do know this: while driving in an R/T, in no auto stick mode, the car didn't shift very quickly. Now with the Optimizer, the car shifts quicker, when not in Auto Stick mode. Explain that?

I thought the PCM also ran the TCM?

·
Registered
202 Posts
ok so i havent been on the forum in a while ..but kenne bell optomizer 2 upgrades are well worth the money.not only did i get better performance and quicker shifts..but my gas mileage increased also...need i say i pulled away from a friend on an old yamaha fzr 600 doin 125mph that thing was a pig...and its nice to hang with the german cars when everybody else hits a wall at 118..its xmas time everybody should have an optimizer 2 under the tree

·
Registered
202 Posts
oh and the optimizer 2 also improves shifts ..there is no seperate module for the transmission its all in the same module all the software is intigrated

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Shifting?

GR8WHT said:
Well , explain how changing the program in the Engine controller would have anything to do with shifting. That is 100% controlled by the TCM (transmission control module)(seperate software). The only part the ECM plays in shifting is retarding the timing at each shift to reduce driveline stress which is overridden in 2000 R/T's when using autostick.
Well since I have read that all you need to do in early 2nd gens is cut a wire to get firmer shifts I assume. That the optimizer just ignors this to get the firmer shifts....

Now since there is no TCM in 2002+ cars this might be a bit nicer for us.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Re: Shifting?

GR8WHT said:
The only part the ECM plays in shifting is retarding the timing at each shift to reduce driveline stress which is overridden in 2000 R/T's when using autostick.
I always suspected that. Thanks for the confirmation. That sure does explain a few things. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts