DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I can help. It's most definately your shifter. Make sure that your all the way in park, and that your button is operating properly for the shifter. If not get an alan keyl, take off the shifter itself and see if you can move it forwards more. It's either that, or you have some kind of issue with your ignition switch. Try the shifter thing first though.

Like all ignitions, it won't disengage unless the vehicle is in park. That way you don't accidentally turn off your car while driving and lock everything up.. :)

EDIT: Let us know how that turned out. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
The same thing happened to me awhile back, check to see that your shifter knob is correctly inserted all the way down in case you removed it and that the wires are not stuck in the linkage if you happened to be working with them. This was my problem.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I feel your pain man. About 6 years ago, my dad and I recieved a phone call from my mom stating that the key will not come out of the ignition (actually more like 9 or 10 years) or our recently new car. So basically me and my dad took our bikes for a 15-30 minute spin down a few blocks to go see what was up. It seems she parked, but left it in drive. The ignition let her turn the key back enough to turn the car off, but not release the key because of it still being in drive etc.

It was a headache for my dad till I suggested putting it in park... :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts