DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2001 Intrepid SE. I was told from one dealer the keyless option was $260 but on Mopar's website it list the MSRP to be $140. Has anybody added the keyless entry option from Mopar and how hard was it?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Hell, for $260 you can get a better alarm with remote keyless, and maybe even a remote starter, too!! That's what I'd do if I were you.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
ya'll know of any alarm systems that will work with our existing keyless entries? or will i have to get a whole new system? or just go factory alarm?

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
111 Posts
THRASHER, Any good alarm system should work in conjunction with the factory keyless
system (depending on the skill level of the installer). I had the top-of-the-line VIPER alarm installed on my 2000 R/T for about $500 (with all options except remote start). Never had a problem. Sometimes I use the alarm and sometimes I just use the remote
keyless instead, depending on where I am parking.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
geo2102, I put keyless entry in my 98 for under $40. It was kind of a pain to hook up, but it works fine. Well, except for the trunk release. I finally figured out how to get it to work, but I've been too lazy to go hook it up.

~JGarrett98

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Dont u get the illuminated thing going with the factory keyless remote? So i guess thats why it costs $260 compared to the keyless option from Mopar that costs $140.

Also I think Warlord mentioned on here that he has a Code Alarm that works in conjunction with the factory keyless remotes. This is something I want to get.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I can bet that $260 was probably for the factory alarm plus all the wiring that you need. I called a dealer once for a quote on keyless entry and they gave me the price for an alarm, so I game them the part number from the dodge website and it was $140 for keyless entry.

·
Registered
973 Posts
geo ... I have a 2001 R/T and all of the LH cars have a weird (to me) wiring system. Something about a single wire hooked to the computer that senses which switches are on. So .... you need to be sure that the shop that installs your alarm knows what they are doing. My Viper installer had to Email the factory for specs since they hadn't done the new style car. I've got the only one on the island so I wouldn't really expect them to have the specs on hand. Works great though. All features except remote start, which I didn't want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the Keyless entry installed by the Chrysler DealerYou know the one that looks like a peanut.It was $99 Canadian for the system and two remotes and $40 for the install. Sounds like the American Dealers are trying to line their pockets. The unit hooks right up to the Body Control Computer. The remote works great. Locks/Unlocks Doors, Opens trunk and has a Panic button. You can program it to open all doors with one or two presses of the button and also to sound horn and flash lights when you lock her up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2000 R/T keyless came as part of the convenience group. Also includes illuminated entry and power seat. $605 sticker, with 2 transmitters... :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i love it, use it all the time, have never taken a key to my car yet!

on another note, I finally turned 1000 miles, 1012 now to be exact (cry!) 35 days to put on a grand. but the wife and i have done some cruisin around the beaches in it showin the world, everyone looks at it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
sysman - my 2001 R/T has that as well, part of the Conv package. BUT it is not an alarm! That is why I added a Viper system to finish it off. The factory alarm add on is a horn and light flasher not a full siren type. The shop was able to program the Viper so that I use the regular DC keyfob/remote to arm/disarm the system. He wanted to have me use the Viper remotes, but I insisted on the DC remotes, so he got on the phone and found a way to get it programed the way I wanted!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Originally posted by Don:
geo ... I have a 2001 R/T and all of the LH cars have a weird (to me) wiring system. Something about a single wire hooked to the computer that senses which switches are on. So .....
The Jeep Cherokee and a few other cars use this system now. There is a common control bus that connects most of the switches to the computer, each switch performs a serialized data command on the control bus, and the computer actually performs the functions.

It makes hooking up an alarm REALLY easy to one of the newer cars , as long as a control interface exists.

Mercedes Benzs (and im sure a few other high end car makers) have taken it a step further and connect all the switches to the computer fiber-opticaly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts