DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Chrysler Concorde LXi 3.5 liter

I read several threads about the knocking purge solenoid under the hood. I examined the solenoid and it was indeed knocking, LOUDLY.

I replaced this solenoid...it really wasn't expensive. And the new one knocks just as loud as the old one.

Could this be indicative of a problem with the EGR system? I haven't a clue how these things work. I just know the thing was jumping up and down in its socket it was knocking so badly and the new one is just as bad. Yes, you can SEE the thing pulsing back and forth. It actually will shake my air hose loose and it's clamped down!

Advise please.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
mine has knocked since my car was new. only noticeable at idle. I call it a design flaw. any solenoid of any kind is going to have knocking sound to it. the problem is that it is mounted on the shock tower with no sound deadening material. more than a few Intrepid owners thought they had a piston rod knock due to the sound of the purge solenoid.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Does anybody know if this knocking soleniod was a problem on the Sebrings, too? My wife's '98 Sebring has got this terrible knocking when the engine's cold but only above 2000 rpm's. When the engine warms up, it doesn't do it anymore. It almost seems like it turns on like a switch. Unlike other tapping/knocking noises that get louder or faster with increased rpm's this just suddenly starts doing it at around 2000 rpm's and up. When the rpm's drop the noise instantaneously disappears. I've had my head under the hood and it sounds terrible, like something's gonna self destruct in the motor. I was afraid it was a lifter collapsed and the rocker was bouncing on the cam lobe or the valve. I had heard about egr valves making noises too, but I've put my hand on the egr while this noise was going on and I didn't feel anything there. I don't even know where the purge solenoid is on her car to check it out.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
froggy81500 said:
Does anybody know if this knocking soleniod was a problem on the Sebrings, too? My wife's '98 Sebring has got this terrible knocking when the engine's cold but only above 2000 rpm's. When the engine warms up, it doesn't do it anymore. It almost seems like it turns on like a switch. Unlike other tapping/knocking noises that get louder or faster with increased rpm's this just suddenly starts doing it at around 2000 rpm's and up. When the rpm's drop the noise instantaneously disappears. I've had my head under the hood and it sounds terrible, like something's gonna self destruct in the motor. I was afraid it was a lifter collapsed and the rocker was bouncing on the cam lobe or the valve. I had heard about egr valves making noises too, but I've put my hand on the egr while this noise was going on and I didn't feel anything there. I don't even know where the purge solenoid is on her car to check it out.
your wife's knocking is not likely the purge solenoid.the purge solenoid does not operate at cold start or during warm up, or right after a hot start. the PCM controls the purge solenoid by changing the pulse width of the signal to it. the sound is most noticeable at idle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know nothing about the Sebring, but on my 1997 Concorde, the noise is worse when the car is fully heated up and you're at a red light, foot on brake, transmission in Drive.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
ok then I'm stumped 'cause it doesn't get faster and slower with the rpm's so I don't think its anything internal in the engine. And like I said, the engine gets around 2000 rpm's and just like a switch, this noise suddenly turns on. But only when the engine isn't warmed up. I'd go on the sebring message board except the moderator and I disagreed about something and he pretty much treated me like some dumb **** who don't know anything about cars. Even after I proved him wrong!
Sorry for hijacking the thread with Sebring questions. I own an '01 trep and like the Mc Donald's commercials, "I'm lovin' it"!!!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I came up with a great solution for this about a year ago. I have a CAI
on my 97 Intrepid, and I have the purge solenoid secured to the side of the
metal tube for the intake. I have it secured with
a large zip tie, and I also have a cut piece of black
rubber tubing around the solenoid. This rubber piece
keeps that knocking sound completely silent. Try it.

Reactions: lowmazda

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I work for an industrial distributor and we have tons of hose. I did this in about 10 minutes. IT WORKS. UN-F-ING believable!!

This should be in the HOW-TO section, THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
BessieIII said:
I work for an industrial distributor and we have tons of hose. I did this in about 10 minutes. IT WORKS. UN-F-ING believable!!

This should be in the HOW-TO section, THANK YOU!!!!
Write it up w/ some pics ;)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Actually, I used one of those black rubber connectors they sell for the CAI. You just stuff the solinoid in there, then run the zip tie around the body of the solinoid. The rubber sinks that bump-bump-bump sound.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The problem with the original setup was that the mounting collar would deteriorate, allowing the thumping to transmit throught the metal mounting flange. Before my CAI setup, I just stuffed a thicker piece of rubber into the sleeve. It worked, but putting the solinoid into the rubber collar works better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts