DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Granted a lot of Moog is now made in china now
Some Moog parts are also made in India, too (in my case, it was the coil spring isolators). But generally the Problem-Solver stuff is still made in the States. My Moog outer-tie rods are 4 years old and still OK. They just need to be greased at every oil change, sometimes a bit sooner.

· Premium Member
19,042 Posts
...Way back when, when I serviced my car at Chrysler, I was told by some techs that this is due to the steering pump being shut off and not sending fluid to the rack. Whether that's a BS explanation or not is up for discussion, but every LH sedan I've encountered - new, used, wrecked, etc. - has always made that sound with no power on...
Here's a theory: The spool valves could be making a noise because, with engine off, they're being forced fully open, which they never would be in normal operation since the rack servos to follow the steering column input in normal operation. IOW, the spool valve probably opens only a few thousandths of an inch when powered by the pump, but, whether being normally driven by the steering wheel or back-driven by forcing the wheel/tire, it gets forced to a an abnormal full-open hard stop when not operating with fluid pressure. That would kinda-sorta fit with the techs' short-hand way of saying "it's because the pump's not sending fluid" (to cause the normal servo operation, which, again, allows the valve only to open ever so slightly rather than to a fully-open hard stop). Whether that's technically accurate or not, that's how I visualize it in my mind's eye. With the engine and p.s. pump operating, you would get that same abnormal full opening of the spool valve when you turn the steering wheel fully in one direction or the other to hard stop of the wheel and knuckle turning. Of course that's when the over-pressure relief bypass valve in the pump opens up so you don't blow the high-pressure p.s. hose, or stall the engine, or smoke the drive belt.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts