DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok kids here we go, before and after pics.

before

and after

The car sounds exactly the same at idle and during normal driving but if you open it up you can hear and feel the difference above 3000RPM. Definate improvement, I highly recommend the intake to everyone willing to spend a little time building it, I would estimate my total time for prep, cutting assembly, painting and installation is about 4-5 hours for everything. I am working on help document that I will have added to the How-to section to assist others in the future.

·
Dain bramaged
7,212 Posts
Originally posted by joekd:
ok kids here we go, before and after pics.

before http://joekd.8m.com/images/intake-old-close.jpg

and after http://joekd.8m.com/images/intake-frt.jpg

The car sounds exactly the same at idle and during normal driving but if you open it up you can hear and feel the difference above 3000RPM. Definate improvement, I highly recommend the intake to everyone willing to spend a little time building it, I would estimate my total time for prep, cutting assembly, painting and installation is about 4-5 hours for everything. I am working on help document that I will have added to the How-to section to assist others in the future.
Phat.. now if i would only get off my lazy butt and design mine for my 95 3.3l

·
Registered
296 Posts
That intake looks great..... i'm gonna make one this winter, but i'm gonna remove the entire stock air-box system and put a conic filter on the end of the L_intake. If you think about it, there would then be no need to purchase the rubber "Hump," the breather fitting and one band clamp, which makes the assembly a little more easier. BUT in the end you do have to buy the new(somewhat expensive) conic filter.
I know that its not the best idea to have the intake sucking in warm air from the engine compartment, but i live in Canada.... the bloody air is freezing most of the year. I'm not really sure how warmer air is detrimental to performance, i guess it has to do with the relative higher oxygen content in the cooler air. Thats why when you've exerted yourself physically you wanna breath cooler air rather than warmer air.
Well, anyhow great intake man keep up the good work.......

RYAN

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the compliments guys, I am proud of the way this looks and it feels real good to hear other positive opinions.

I bought the decals planning to put both the rams head and the intrepid name on the intake tube but when I finally assembled the pieces the tube was too short so I put on just the Rams head and wasn't sure what to do with the intrepid. Once I took the resonator box out that big silver wall looked so empty I just had to put it on there.

I gave the car a good run through some hills today at lunch, the car loves to run at 3000-4500RPM hold the gears with autostick and the car charges through the corners. The sound of the intake growling is just so sweet. I don't see any difference until you get over 3000 rpm, then the motor wakes up and the grin starts spreading on your face.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by Warlord187:
Makes me want to start making one! I plan on it, but I so much don't want to mess something up and void my warranty...
I am with you. I have priced up all the parts but the fact that I have only 8000 miles on my car and another 2yr 10mth on my warranty, its a tough choice. :mad:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey all I'm new to this. I own a 2000 SE 2.7L. What performance mods are available aside from the K&N air/oil filter ? I know that BORLA sells an exhaust w/headers but its for the 3.2L or 3.5L application. Can anyone help me out or am I SOL? Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
There is no way this simple intake mod will void your warranty. It's not like it adds 50hp and will break something. If a dealer tries to claim your intake mod broke something, than you could easily dispute it. I doubt it would even come to that though.

BTW, I like the silver intake, I got one of the 1st ones and just got black. Didn't really dawn on me to get a color to match my Silver R/T. Oh well :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
cars, people, planes, etc "prefer" colder air because it is far more dense than warm air.

·
Registered
207 Posts
that looks TOTALLY hot.
congrats on a job done amazingly well :)

that makes for like 4 projects over the winter i have for my car now while it sits in the garage avoiding all that nasty road salt they use up here.
1) refinish the wheels (clear is peeling).
2) install the rest of my stereo system.
3) that fantastic looking intake.
4) that dual exhaust.

damn, im gonna be busy over the winter ... :D

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I was thinking of the same thing with the Intrepid across the intake, I actualy was going to put "Intrepid" in big letters, and in smaller letters under and to the right a bit "Performance" I thought that would make it look sweet, but I guess there is not much room. I will see when I make my own. By the way, looks real nice.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, that's a lot of decal for such a limited space, the top of the pipe is only 8" long so your decal size would have to be approx 7-3/4"x2". You might be able to put the decal on the side where I put the Intrepid name....just a thought

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
anyone want to help design a new intake for the First Gen 3.5? I am thinking of trying to make one that will reaplace both the accordian tube AND the T split. (what I really would like to do is rig a way to get each throttle body its own intake on each side of the engine compartment, but I don't think that is going to happen.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Joekd,
The intake looks really sweet. In your opinion, was it fairly easy to manufacture.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes, if you follow the instructions it's pretty easy. I did everything piece by piece but I still estimate my total time building and installing was only 4-5 hours. Just take your time, do it piece by piece (buy all parts, cut pipe, paint pipe..dry..paint it again, assemble..install) and you won't have any problems.

Plus if any problems arise (like they did for me) post a question here and everyone is a HUGE help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Joekd, thanks for the information. I will have to give it a try, when I can get some time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
that looks great. being new i don't think i've seen any instructions on how to build it. where would i go? but all i looks like is if you measure right it shouldn't really be to difficult. :) I also have a question about the second box (the resonator it think) what purpose dose it serve, and can it be eleminated like you did prior to making my own intake.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts