DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lot of you know I was working on a an new version of the L_Intake (Stage 2) that would have used a Cone K&N Filter and heatshield, replacing the Stock Airbox setup that is now offered.

Well after fabricating one, complete with the shield and doing some test runs, this is what happened.

There is no gain to be had over using the Stage 1 intake. It seems the Stage 1 gives the 3.2/3.5L engine all the air it could want. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times did not change at all with the Stage 2 Intake. Cost is also a big issue if it had been worth it, but at over $300 it would not be cost effective.

So the deal is, Im staying with the Stage 1 system only, but I do recommend the K&N filter for the stock airbox. (when using the Stage 1)

Here is a link for online K&N filter suppliers: http://www.knfilters.com/online.htm

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the numbers for a Stock 3.5L and a Stage 1 with the 68mm TB (TB helps drivability but not much at WOT, thats these tests)

Stock 0-60 7.9 sec
1/4 15.9sec at 90 mph

Modified
0-60 7.7 sec
1/4 mile 15.6 at 93 mph

I tested many HP calculators offered on the web and found one that hits the numbers right on for a 3555 lb car rated at 242 hp. http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/quarter.html

this calc shows a boost of about 23 HP

I would say the intake is good for around 18 hp and the TB for 5 hp

·
Registered
349 Posts
GR8WHT, I believe I read in a previous post that this stage 1 intake will also work for the 2.7L... just to confirm, will it? Also, would I exect to see roughly a 20hp gain as well? I should be able to buy one off of you in september.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am working with a fellow with a 2.7L to test the fit, Im pretty sure it will fit, but not 100%.

As for gains on the 2.7, thats hard to say at this point. I won't just guess and say yes.

Probably by September I should have tested it on a 2.7L and can give a better idea.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey Gr8Wht i have a 2.7 that i am working on making a complete from TB ram air kit with conical K&N for. If i get it done b4 i see your posts i'll try to get the stats up on it. :D

·
Registered
973 Posts
GR8WHT - as you mentioned, the cone filter didn't do much improving, so are you stopping the developement of that idea? I don't think I like the idea of the cone filter because of the potential of more heated air being inhaled by that big 'ol TB. If I had the chance to switch, I don't think I would based on your findings. Just my $.02

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was wondering if the "Stage 2" intake has a sound advantage over the "Stage 1" intake? My buddy has a conic filter on his civic and it sounds incredible. Those conic filter really change the tone of these engines.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey GR8WHT I was wondering if you wouldn't mind it's totally up too you, but if you could tell me where you got the rubber peice for the TB on your intakes I'm not trying to steal your idea's or any bussiness from you but i want to make a stage 2 intake with ram air for my 00 2.7L and i think i have found a way to route the ram air pipe I really belive that a stage 2 with ram air will "Wake up" my gutless 2.7 (my other car is a 70 duster, so the 2.7 is kinda gutless to me) but ne ways if you want to get in touch with me email me at [email protected] if i make the ram air sucessfully i'll send you snap shots and diagrams so you can build em and sell em if you want. I'm only interested in making my own not selling em.
thanx for any help
WildChild

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: WildChild ]

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
ok, i give up, as i know little about cars (hand me a computer and i can do amazing things, a car...err...I drive em) what the hell is stage 1 and stage 2? someone draw me a picture here :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ryan - if you think a cone filter has a good sound then you'd love the GR8WHT intake. With a K&N drop in filter the sound is really something. I have also "opened" up th front of the airbox. Anyway, after the intake install I Emailed our Guru and asked him if this thing was trying to inhale the filter ..... that much sound!
THRASHER - the stage 1 is a special set of connectors and hoses and tubes that eliminate the resonator box, the ribbed hose that goes to the filter box, and replaces the very restrictive and strange connection onto the throttle body. stage 2 (I have not seen one) should be all of the above except the filter box is replaced with a cone filter and some shrouding to try to keep out the hot engine air that gathers under the hood. GR8WHT - did I miss anything?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There was little sound difference between the two systems, the Cone filter sounded a little "hollow", not my taste.

FYI Info

Stage 1 replaced the stock intake from the Throttle body to the airbox, retaining the stock airbox.

Stage 2 replaced the intake and added a Cone filter to the end of a Stage 1 and a heatshield.

Stage 2 development has been terminated due to no performance gains over stage 1, and cost was out of line.

Some info on what goes into making a L_Intake Stage 1:

First I had to source the rubber connectors and be sure that the supplier can supply in a prompt manner (I actually had to change suppliers for that reason).

Then source the metal tubing (its now aluminum, not steel for lightness but the performance is the same). I buy it in 8 foot lengths.

Then find the 3 different size stainless Steel band clamps. And get the PVC pipe too!

And finally find a fitting for the breather hose.

Now the real work begins, because the rubber fittings have to be modified for fit, and the breather installed, tubing has to be cut, chamfered and cleaned. PVC pipe insulating sleeves have to be cut too.

Then everything is washed, and scrubbed (to remove any metal fragments or dirt.)

Then prime and paint the PVC Sleeves to your specifications.

Then assemble the Intake, aligning all the band clamps in thier proper positions and boxing, and shipping.

The intake was tested and retested for durability and perfromance. (more time)

It all takes time, but I have refined the process.

Just thought you might like to know what goes into each intake.

Not to mention the cost in tools (they wear out or break over time).

Take care all!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If anyone gets an intake that works well with the 2.7 sign me up :) If they're not that hard to do I could build it myself, but if it's gonna be a ***** to do then I'd just prefer buying it from someone.

if anyone's got any ideas for the 2.7 intake you can get ahold of me on ICQ(my # is 8280123) or on MSN Messenger or even e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey JGarrett98,
I am going to be getting GR8WHT's intake this week. :D I am going to be going to his house (only like 30 min drive) and he's going to slap it on my 2.7L for me. He hasn't done any testing with the 2.L so I think that we are going to do some runs with his GTech Pro before and after. I will post here again after I have it on.

Brian

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Cool, I'd like some info on the 2.7L when you guys are done also...I may be interested in one of those bad boys. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
MOPAR NOW! summer 2001 issue (pg. 14) says there is a noise-reducer funnel in the filter box that pops right out. A letter-writer claims that made a big difference in power and mpg. They apparently had an article on this mod in the summer 2000 issue.
So would this be a stage .5 mod? Driveon... :D

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
is that in the 2nd generation airbox?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts