DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from work, and i was going like 60 MPH. When i see the car in front on me stepping on his brakes and going over something on the freeway. When i saw it was a freaking ladder in the middle of the freeway. I slammed my breaks and saw if any cars were close behind me, there was one coming fast, so i start honking like crazy while stepping on the brakes. I managed to stop right before hitting the ladder, it was huge!The guys behind me managed to break and didn't hit me. Boy was i scared! Can you imagine stopping going 65 MPH, lucky me i had my Trep, that car really helped a lot, it was very stable and the brakes really worked and gave 100%. The guy coming on the right lane heard me honking so he slowed down and also the other cars in the freeway slowed down, I got in the right lane and thank God first, and then my Trep for saving me from this one.

:bigsmile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as Intrepids' braking, I always thought brakes alone were okay, but the huge weight of the car made it a little hard. But I always used my autostick, and downshifted when braking, that worked REALLY well,and always slowed me down fast as hell. I actually had a similar situation a few years ago. I was going 70 or 80 on an overpass on I275 in farmington Hills, Michigan. The road curves as you pass over 696 and there was a semi with a trailer just STOPPED and blocking most of the freeway. It had lost its load. I slammed it into 2nd gear while hitting my brakes hard and swerving, and luckily saved my girlfriend at the time's life and mine (well, not so sure about that old girlfriend!).
Bottom line: Intrepid brakes are good enought, but excellent when combined with downshifting the autostick.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it didn't go to the sides or anything, i'm telling you it was very stable and performed real good. i didn't downshifted because there was traffic, Houston traffic i might add. I wanted to slow down and get in the other lane, not stop completely, but because of the traffic I had to stop. I guess because of the weight of the Trep went to the front and wasn't that of a really fast stop the weight didn't go to the sides or something. But, I loved the way the car responded.

I'm alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blush:

Can you imagine if I've gone over that freaking ladder? The car in front of me did, it was old, but still, it looked pretty bad doing it, specially going over 50 mph

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You probably would have broken something if you went over the ladder.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man for real?! I didn't even think about that! Gee thanks! I am so glad i didn't!!!!:D

By the way i'm just being sarcastic
:tongue:

·
Registered
602 Posts
oh no, that's crazy........! Similar thing happened to me, I was goin down 680 in my 99ES a while back, it was early in the morning and really dark. Luckily I had my fog lights on, which help illuminate the road and I see one of those large plastic post office crates in the road. I believe that going over a ladder is more serious but this would have left a fat dent in the front of my car or at rolled up the hood and smashed into my windshield. I was like oh shhhht! I managed to manuver around it quickly but without overreacting and swerving too hard.

One thing I will not complain about is the braking ability of my 99ES and 2002SE. I didn't feel the brakes were that good on my 1995. One time traffic just came to a halt all of a sudden. I stopped my 2002SE in like several Intrepid car lenghts at 60MPH, thought I was going to hit the person in front of me but didn't.

Glad you're OK!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
There was a board (4x4") in the road. Foggy, at night, and I hit it @ about 25-30mph after slamming on my brakes from about 40mph. Bent my rim and knocked my alignment WAY OFF. My steering is a tiny bit looser, but not too bad. Obsticles in the road suck. I can't imagine being on a freeway with a lot of traffic with something as big as a ladder in the way. Obviously the person who lost the ladder didn't pay attention to the knot-tying part of boy scouts?

Speaking of losing stuff while driving... a friend of mine and his other friend were going along a freeway in the right lane in a pick-up truck. They had a thin (1/4") 4x8 piece of plywood covering some garbage on their way to the dump. My friend insisted they find some rope to tie it all down with but his friend assured him it will be OK.

Well, going along at freeway speeds, the plywood flies off and gets stuck vertically on some guy's bumper, blocking that guy's view of the road. He swerved back and forth instead of stopping trying to lose the wood and finally did, and proceeded to try to catch up to my friend and the driver. The driver just keeps his head foward and steps on the gas to pretend nothing happened, meanwhile my friend is telling him to pull over. The pickup can't go any faster (it was a 1980 F100) so they guy eventually catches up, honks like crazy, but the driver just keeps his head straight foward and just keeps driving for a while, then acts surprised when he noticed this guy honking at him. He pulls over and acts dumb while this guy is about to have a heart attack... but they talk it over and everything is OK. Funny story, but not for the guy in the small car with the plywood up against his bumper.

·
Registered
155 Posts
kid, you can't underestimate these brakes even considering the weight of the car. under heavy breaking this car handles extremely well. W/ 4 discs, if you pound on the brakes all the weight of the car will be forced to the front causing extra grip and handling ability to the front tires. This guy ran his stop sign and as soon as i honked the horn, froze as if he was a deer, I slammed the brakes going down the hill doing like 55, was able to swerve,and go behind him as it finally occured to him to move out the way. SO, if you ever see an old blue beat up sunfire, or baretta in NYC w/ some fat ugly kid driving it, discipline it, cause chances are, its probably him. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts