DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had to replace a laptop hard drive, but I decided to upgrade mine from 6GB to 20GB. I got a pretty good price on an IBM 20GB for like $114 :)

Anyways, I got it today. When I took it out of the box, I noticed that it makes a noise (like something is loose inside) when I flip if from top to bottom and back?? I thought it might be broken, so I opened up my laptop, installed it, partitioned it, formatted it, and installed Win2k pro. Everything is working fine. No errors what-so-ever.

I also noticed the same noise coming from my old 6GB hard drive when I flip it over and back.

My question is: Is this normal for a laptop hard drive?? Should I be worried??

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepid98 ]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well I don't know much about laptop hard disks, but if both of them work and both do it then its your best bet that its normal, but who knows. I was also wondering if something is wrong when you plug in a monitor and a flash comes out of the vents on top that looks like a flash bulb going off? :confused: :D lol I just plugged one in here at work and it did just that.. still works though so I could give a crap.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
It might be part of the piece that spins the disc around inside. I wouldnt worry about it.

Of course if you turn your laptop on and u get something like "Missing Operating System"

Then maybe you should worry. :)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's got a 3 year warranty, so as long as i keep good backups (which I do), I'm not gonna worry about it :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey there Randy! Cool site! Regarding your post from earlier, as you probably figured out by now, there's nothing wrong with your laptop HD. I have installed at least 4 of these, 1 14GB IBM, 2 20GB IBM travelstars, and a 20GB Toshiba. They all seem to click and clunk like there is a loose part, so I'm pretty sure that is the same sound as you have heard. I must admit, it does sound like concern the first time I heard it, so I asked the vendor to show me other ones and they all did the same thing. Sorry this is late, I just stumbled accross this site a few days ago.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. At least I know it's not just me. Anyways, the drive has been working perfectly since I installed it :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here's what it is:

The newer Travelstar drives have a passive locking mechanism holding the actuator in place, causing the drive to rattle when shaken. Following is a list of the drive models that contain this mechanism:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servlet/support/manager?rs=0&rt=0&org=hdd&doc=A9C2C014D03522C2862569FF00787C56

I too upgraded a few notebook hard drives & have always used IBM & have heard that "clicking sound."

Originally posted by Intrepid98:
I've never had to replace a laptop hard drive, but I decided to upgrade mine from 6GB to 20GB. I got a pretty good price on an IBM 20GB for like $114 :)

Anyways, I got it today. When I took it out of the box, I noticed that it makes a noise (like something is loose inside) when I flip if from top to bottom and back?? I thought it might be broken, so I opened up my laptop, installed it, partitioned it, formatted it, and installed Win2k pro. Everything is working fine. No errors what-so-ever.

I also noticed the same noise coming from my old 6GB hard drive when I flip it over and back.

My question is: Is this normal for a laptop hard drive?? Should I be worried??

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepid98 ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts