DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering if someone knew for sure if the following Wireless PC Card would work with the following laptop:

Kyocera Passport 1xEV-DO (KPC650) Wireless PC Card
  • 32-bit CardBus interface (3.3V) for lower power consumption
  • Standard Type II PC card slot
  • 3G 1xEV-DO PC card
  • Up To 2.4 Mbps
  • Dual-band receive diversity for better network performance
  • SMS capable
  • Quick2Net compatible
  • System Requirment: Microsoft® Windows® 2000 or XP
  • Meets FCC SAR limit. Manufacturer's highest FCC reported SAR: 1.17. Actual SAR may vary.
LINK

Sony VAIO PCG-F520 Laptop
  • Processor: Intel Pentium III 500 MHz
  • Installed Memory: 64 MB (SDRAM)
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 SE
  • Motherboard Bus Speed: 100 MHz
  • Hard Drive Capacity: 6 GB
  • Storage Controller Type (List): IDE
  • Installed RAM: 64 MB SDRAM
  • Max Supported RAM: 256 MB
  • Installed Cache Memory: 256 KB
  • Modem Type: Fax / Modem
  • Analog Modulation Protocol: ITU V.90
LINK

The only Problem I see is the Operating System on the Laptop, or does this really matter? Anyone else see any other compatibility issues? I know nothing about laptops or wireless networking, but I am considering getting these two products for wireless internet browsing on a laptop!

Thanks A Million-
WildJJ :D

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Well, I'm gonna say that it will matter. But to be sure, I simply clicked on the Support tab on that webpage you linked to for the wireless card and sure enough they have a toll-free number. I can't imagine of a better and faster way to get your answer. . .

Contact Kyocera

We're right here if you need us. The menu of links below can open a line of communication with someone who's happy to help, or just listen.

Technical Support Phone Numbers:
Support hours noted below are Monday - Friday.

USA and Canada: 1-800-349-4478
6:00 am - 6:00 pm PST

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
if it requires 2000 or greater, and u have 98, then no it will not work, becuase there are no drivers available for it for that operating system

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
That card is for wireless browsing using the cell phone company as your ISP and paying their rates. Ev-DO implies Verizon 3G (advanced digital cellular) networks only.

Is that really what you want to do?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
[QUOTE='98-ESer]That card is for wireless browsing using the cell phone company as your ISP and paying their rates. Ev-DO implies Verizon 3G (advanced digital cellular) networks only.

Is that really what you want to do?[/QUOTE]

Well, yes as far as "browsing using the cell phone company as your ISP"

But I'm not sure what your mean about "Ev-DO implies Verizon 3G (advanced digital cellular) networks only".

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
what he is meaning i think is that this is not a regular wireless card (802.11a/b or g) but is a internet card for a specific cellular carrier

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If you don't have Verizon 3G high speed digital cell service with data plans in your area, then don't buy the card.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[QUOTE='98-ESer]If you don't have Verizon 3G high speed digital cell service with data plans in your area, then don't buy the card.[/QUOTE]

Roger That. If it is in my area though, I think I'll try to use it on a laptop sometime, although I have cell phone service thru T-Mobile. Was thinking I could use the 3G network alone, just for the laptop. Although, I'm now looking at Dell.com & Ebay.com for better laptop deals. Thanks!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wb6vpm said:
just so u know, you cant use a verizon card (or phone) on a t-mobile system
I know. That's why I had previously stated the following:

"Was thinking I could use the 3G network alone, just for the laptop."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Since you're a T-Mobile customer, why don't you get their wireless internet card. I happen to have seen it last night while on their website. It also includes 802.11G wireless networking capabilities on top of using T-Mobile's wireless internet. I don't pretend to know that much about T-Mobile's wireless internet vs Verizons, though. Could be two separate beasts altogether.

**Edit, I just checked their website again and T-Mobile's card is compatible with Windows 98. They list their speed at 1.5 Mbps. I don't know what Verizon's is.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
ATT/Cingular/SBC (or whatever.....) is also rolling out a high-speed 3G data network on top of their digital cell (GSM) networks.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Currently the top end data service for GSM carriers- Cingular and T-Mobile is called EDGE and it tops out at ~150 Kbps

Verizon and Sprint have EVDO service which tops out at 1.5Mbps and averages 300-800 Kbps

No matter how you slice it- the plans for laptops are pricey, between $80 and $100 a month. however- if you sign a contract more often than not they will give you the data card for free.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Kenundrum said:
Currently the top end data service for GSM carriers- Cingular and T-Mobile is called EDGE and it tops out at ~150 Kbps
Only true if you're talking about data speed to cell phones. This guy is talking about buying a pcmcia card for his laptop, not using his cellphone for internet connection. Go to T-Mobile's website and look up their pcmcia card and you'll see that it achieves 1.5 Mbps.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Only true if you're talking about data speed to cell phones. This guy is talking about buying a pcmcia card for his laptop, not using his cellphone for internet connection. Go to T-Mobile's website and look up their pcmcia card and you'll see that it achieves 1.5 Mbps.

yes, it CAN reach 1.5Mbps, but there is no network yet to support it, right now, they are all limited to 40 Kbps :( (on the T-mobile/cingular networks)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Haha, that means that their cellphones with the EDGE capabilities are actually faster than their wireless internet capabilities (not that surfin the internet on a cellphone is fun)? What kind of crap is that?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Haha, that means that their cellphones with the EDGE capabilities are actually faster than their wireless internet capabilities (not that surfin the internet on a cellphone is fun)? What kind of crap is that?

it means that you wont have to buy a new phone when the network is installed :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts